iMac G3 and Pentium4 - Network Help Plz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
Ok

I got broadband a few days ago (512/128) and the modem is hooked up to my PC(uggh i know) in the study. I have an iMac G3 in my room and i was wondering can i hook it up to the same modem and use both of the computers on broadband.

The modem has USB 2.0 and Ethernet ports but hte iMac only has USB 1.1 and same with the PC would taht effect the transfer.

I just wanna know how to connect them both to run on the broadband, i dont want to transfer files or share a printer or anything just the net. i also dont want to buy another modem for the mac.

Thanks alot i hope u can help me

B

badmojo

Here's two options:

1. Purchase a WIRED router. Run CAT 5 cabling to your room from the study. Connect both the PC and the iMac to the router, and the router to the cable modem. This assumes that your iMac has an ethernet card.

2. Purchase a WIRELESS router. Connect the cable modem to the wireless router and plug the PC into one of the wired ports on the router. Purchase an Airport card for your iMac and install it. Your iMac will be wireless and the PC will be wired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
keep in mind that when running cat 5 cable... the code is 100ft before you need to reboost the signal... I don't really know how far you study is away from your room, but just the fact that you have a study seems to tell me that you have a larger size house... also try to keep in mind how far a signal will go with a wireless network connection... you can always use and airport with an airport express every 100 feet or what ever the signal goes too, and then resend the signal out.

Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
keep in mind that when running cat 5 cable... the code is 100ft before you need to reboost the signal... I don't really know how far you study is away from your room, but just the fact that you have a study seems to tell me that you have a larger size house... also try to keep in mind how far a signal will go with a wireless network connection... you can always use and airport with an airport express every 100 feet or what ever the signal goes too, and then resend the signal out.

100 ft? NOT. CAT5 can run up to 300ft before needing a boost.

ed724

OP
Pattay
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
Ok Thats great

how much is a wired router (remeber i only need 2 ports)

i would need quite a lot of cat 5 cabling how much is it. Im in Australia but give me the price and ill convert it.

Thanks again every 1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Pattay said:
Ok Thats great

i would need quite a lot of cat 5 cabling how much is it. Im in Australia but give me the price and ill convert it.

Thanks again every 1

Depending on prefab CAT5 cost, you might want to invest in a couple Airport Express's and use WDS. Or look to eBay for 1000ft of CAT5 for around $40-$50US and make your own RJ45 connections with a $30 pair of crimpers.

A wired only router is cheap, less than $50 these days, if they haven't been phased out by most stores in favor of wireless routers.

r/
-Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
PowerBookG4 said:

That's 100m

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Pattay said:
Ok Thats great

Thanks again every 1

Are you sure it's only a modem?! Cause my modem has also 1 USB (which I don't use) and 1 Ethernet, it's a modem with router (Zyxel 623).
In that case, all you need would be an Ethernet Hub or switch, on which you can connect both computer and the modem/router. That'd be much cheaper.

You should check first if your device includes the router or not before you go buying an additional one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.