• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Solar powered ipods/iphones in the future?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It would be a much welcomed feature for me. I'm not always at a convenient location that provides electricity. Solar power would be a great supplemental power source when we can't find an outlet or as a way to prolong the battery usage when we're outside.

You only mentioned iPhone/iPods but the article also talks about laptops which is where I'm more interested in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It's going to need to be an efficient power supply, but I do like the idea. Should make iPods last even longer (actual product life).
I see that Logitech now have a solar powered keyboard, which is kind of interesting, but not sure how well it'll work in an office environment. If I had one where my Mac is, it would struggle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I see that Logitech now have a solar powered keyboard, which is kind of interesting, but not sure how well it'll work in an office environment. If I had one where my Mac is, it would struggle.
It depends on how much energy it needs. Indoor lighting can provide enough power for low energy devices. Remember solar powered calculators? They worked perfectly fine indoors.

Of course this won't work for laptops and most likely not iPhones/iPods either. Solar power technology has come along way but it's probably still not advanced enough to get a great deal of energy from indoor lighting.

I'm also thinking about this technology in a broader topic because if smaller solar panel become efficient enough then this could completely revolutionize our chore of recharging. We might not have to ever plug our portable devices into an outlet power source again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
You can buy cases for iPods that are solar powered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I'd love to see this added. Even just gaining 20-30 minutes of use time per day would be phenomenal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.