• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft objects to Apple's "App Store" trademark application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agree with MS on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well when everyone is just waiting to copy your tech you just have to patent/trademark every little detail I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This from the company who patented the word "Windows" and originally tried to go after companies that sell those things that go in the walls of your house and allow you to see what's outside without letting the outside in. No, I don't mean "doors" either.

Not that I disagree with them though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sorry, I'm going to go against most of you on this, I think MSFT is just angry here. When you think of "Apps," you think of "Apple" and the "apps" available on itunes. The term "apps" was never used like that until apps came out for the iphone. Now every company is jumping on the "apps" bandwagon. I think they should get the trademark, because for them, it's more than just for applications.

...for trademark purposes if it would prevent competitors from adequately describing their own products.
How is going from "app store" to "application store" going to inadequately describe your products?

And all this coming from a company who trademarked "word," "office," and "windows." hmmm

I also can't honestly remember msft every really relying on the term app or application to describe a "product,' it was always "software," or just, "program!"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I agree that MSFT is just jealous or something. "Program(s)" was perfectly adequate until recently when things started being named "Apps." Funny how nobody really had an issue at first, but now that Apple is swimming in $$ and going for the patent, MSFT has problems describing their programs?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also disagree with most people here.
Apple called the executable files on their OS, applications since as long as I can remember. I remember back in Black and White OSv5 an Applications folder. So calling them Applications (or the shortened App) is not a new thing. And MS is just trying to take a stab at Apple. MS used the word program successfully for many many years.

And now all of a sudden the App store is famous and MS want a piece of the word Application. MS should just make their Program or Pro store for their phones and be done with it. It seems Apple are finally getting big and popular and MS is getting very jealous indeed.

Reaction score
I think that the real issue here is that Microsoft is trying to prevent "App Store" from becoming a genericized trademark, like Q-tip or Kleenex. The App Store is becoming so commonplace that it may end up completely replacing the real names that each OS uses. It's pretty obvious that Microsoft doesn't want that to happen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't worry folks..... Both Apple and Microsoft have plenty of lawyers working for them. Guess who is going to come out ahead? ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Don't worry folks..... Both Apple and Microsoft have plenty of lawyers working for them. Guess who is going to come out ahead? ;P

Ubuntu :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I believe Microsoft is very wrong as well, the app store is opened to all current apple products now. Besides Microsoft has not attempted to do anything similar yet, but maybe this is Microsoft's way of saying they are now trying to copy Apple once again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I could care less about MSFT. They are getting a bit desperate and desperately need to focus on getting their wind again - they have bigger things to worry about than this IMHO. Still, trying to trademark "App Store" is a bit of a stretch. I can see Apple having a legal right to operate a business and call it "The App Store" or "The Apple App Store" exclusively. But I think that as a descriptive modifying term for a store that sells applications it is fair game. If Joe has a store that sells applications and wants the store to be known legally as "Joe's App Store", what's the problem?
FWIW... "Apps" have been pretty common vernacular for SAP applications or components to the enterprise world for years before iOS or any of Apple's gadgets existed. You don't hear them female-dogging about it. Apple didn't invent "Apps" or the slang/shorthand term used to refer to applications. Gimme a break.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW... "Apps" have been pretty common vernacular for SAP applications or components to the enterprise world for years before iOS or any of Apple's gadgets existed. You don't hear them female-dogging about it. Apple didn't invent "Apps" or the slang/shorthand term used to refer to applications. Gimme a break.

You saying others used the word Applications this way before apple did in the early 1980's? I'd really like to know who used this term, this way before Apple did.

I know my 128K, the first Mac I owned had an Applications folder. I got it 2nd hand a few years after it was released in the late 80's as a little kid. So Apple's been using the term since 1984. I'm not 100% sure if the Lisa OS used the term or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
SAP circa 1973 or 1976 to describe it's financial RF offering. It also used the term application instead of program in it's literature and marketing. SAP = Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing

Reaction score
I think it's worth noting that trademarks, unlike patents, aren't designed to protect inventions (intellectual or otherwise), but rather designed to protect associations between imagery or phraseology and entities. Regardless of when or who invented the word "App," the fact is that Apple has brought the term to the forefront of public perception, and that word is significantly associated with Apple, its store for Apps, and software that runs on iOS devices.

That association is something very much worth protecting (for Apple). It's a term Apple popularized in order to explain and represent a part of the iOS ecosystem. Other companies objecting to it being legally trademarked basically are objecting to their inability confuse the market by introducing products with the same name -- thereby reducing Apple's competitive advantage, and maybe even bolstering their own sales.

It's a pity they can't compete on their own terms with either great products and/or creative marketing. But that doesn't entitle them to a bite Apple's brand.

Reaction score
I can see how "App Store" might seem too generic at first. But one remembers, as has already been said, that Apple started the whole "App" craze, it seems perfectly fair to me, for them to trademark it. I too believe Microsoft is just angry or trying to put up any blocks they can. Nothing against MS, I used their stuff for a long time, and no matter how much people might want to bash them, they are a very good company as far as their products go. I never had a problem one. But there's nothing wrong with Apple wanting to trademark something THEY started.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.