Mac Pro 2008: New HD

Reaction score
I suspect that my current HD is the culprit to numerous daily freezes (high pitch noise from computer, beach ball, freeze, must power off and turn on again) for the last year or so and I'm getting sick of it. I've been googling this to death with no results, so I'm acquiring a new HD.

As I'm worried something like this may happen again, would it be an idea to purchase a higher performance one than your regular 7200 RPM HD? Or would a new 7200 RPM suffice? SSD is simply too small capacity wise and too expensive.

I'm seeing 10000 RPM and 15000 RPM HDs at around 400 GB, which I could certainly live with. I already have two 2 TB 7200 RPM in two other bays. If I opted for a 7200 RPM one, it'd probably end up being a 1 TB or a 2 TB one. Can never have too much space.

This would mainly be for the OS, perhaps a Windows partition and some misc. files such as music, documents, etc.

If RPMs isn't what I should be looking at for a "higher performance" (than normal) HD then what?

Thank you kindly.
eurobum.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
i have heard that 10k rpm disks get quite hot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.