Ubuntu CD Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Late 2009 - 4GB Ram, 2.5 GHz, Snow Leopard
Hi..I am trying to install Ubuntu alongside my Mac running Tiger from a CD that I burned from the download. I did all the instructions on the site, I put the iso file onto the CD-R disc but when I try to boot off of it holding the C key, it just goes straight to OS X. Any suggestions?

My Mac is a Powermac G4 800MHz, 1.5 GB Ram, DVD-RW Drive. I am trying to use the latest version of Ubuntu (10.10) and It just won't work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may not have created the CD correctly. Did you use Disk Utility to burn the ISO to the CD or just copy it to the CD? You need to burn it to the CD for it to become bootable. Also, when rebooting your Mac hold down the OPTION key instead as soon as you hear the chime.

And by the way, be real careful when installing Ubuntu as a dual boot with Tiger so that you don't accidentally overwrite Tiger with the GRUB boot loader.

I suggest downloading and installing rEFIt first. Read the instructions carefully before using.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used disk utility...Ill try using the option key tho! Thanks!!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I tried that and the CD didn't show up at the boot menu. Any other suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can suggest for now is to try burning another copy of Ubuntu and then test it on another machine - preferably a Windows machine. It sounds like the copy you made is not bootable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.