Mac randomly deleted a folder of mine...

Reaction score
I had a folder with a lot of personal information on my mac. To keep it out of normal viewing range, i had been keeping it in home/public/printers (printers seemed like a nice random hiding spot).

The folder had been there for many many months and I accessed the contents regularly with NO problems. Then today, I open the Printers folder, and my personal folder is GONE. I've spotlighted to see if it moved. Searched the mac upside down. Tried file recovery software... NOTHING IS WORKING!

Has anyone ever had an issue like this before? Any pointers on what went wrong, and more importantly- any ideas on how to recover all my lost info??

Thanks so much for any help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Of course. Get the folder from your backup.

I can't imagine a way that the Mac deleted an entire folder without user input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you by chance download an update that involved printer drivers? There have been several updates for HP and Canon that were available for download as recently as last month.

Otherwise it's as toMACsh pointed out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sadly, no backup. Not that I ever created. Does this fantastic little machine do it for me by chance?

And I don't have any record in my updates about printer drivers... but if that were the case, I still don't know how to UNdo whatever has happened.

Thanks to you both for your feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Sadly, no backup. Not that I ever created. Does this fantastic little machine do it for me by chance?

It will, if you tell it to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.