Virtual Machine

Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm thinking about getting the macbook pro but have a few concerns. I'm an adviser and use a certain software not yet compatible with the mac. Someone had suggested using a virtual machine like they do for the same reason but I wanted to know what some of your experience have been. What are the pros and cons with doing this and will it drastically bog down the machine?
Thanks
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 4,1 C2D 2.5Ghz / 4GB RAM / 250 HDD
For the bogging down part, that depends a lot on the kind of software that you'll run on the VM, and also how much of of your Mac's resources are you going to give it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Even though I'm just starting to experiment with VMs on the Mac (I've been using them for servers for years), I've had terrific luck. Installed both MS Office and Visual Studio (both for Windows) and they run just fine.

I'm using Parallels but there's a couple of VM solutions available (at least one is even free I believe). The thing I like about Parallels is it can run windowed, or full screen, or this mode called Coherence where it runs the Windows apps as kind of native OSX windows, making the experience pretty seamless.

Your VM's can also share your Mac resources like the network connection, desktop, printers, ports, etc.

I'm assuming this app is some sort of vertical/custom type app? If it's some basic client app with a UI/DB backend, it's probably not a huge resource hog and would chug along just fine.

OP
S
Reaction score
What is a parallels? The software is not a huge power hog. Is there a way I can run the software by just clicking and opening it or does the VM have to be running? Also will it take it a while for the vm to load/boot up? I really want it to be seamless...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
Parallels is a specific VM product:

Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac

VMWare is another popular solution.

With most of the current products, you can just create an application icon (Parallels makes the whole start menu as a set of shortcuts in the dock) and it will fire up the VM, then the specific App. Of course, you're starting a whole OS (even if you don't see it), so it takes a bit of time. I mean we're talking in the 30-40 second range so it's not extreme (and that's on just our little 2.4Ghz MBP 13").

It will of course start up much faster if you already have the VM running. If it's OK to disclose, what's the name of the app you're trying to run?

Office and Visual Studio are both pretty chunky, so given their performance, I'd say most apps will run pretty perky!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take a look at Oracle's VirtualBox. It's free, however, does not have all the bells and whistles of Parallels or VMWare Fusion. And use your search function to read what others have experienced.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm an adviser and use a certain software not yet compatible with the mac. Someone had suggested using a virtual machine like they do for the same reason but I wanted to know what some of your experience have been.
What kind of software will you be using? I've had great luck with virtualization but I likely have very different needs than you do.

Take a look at Oracle's VirtualBox. It's free, however, does not have all the bells and whistles of Parallels or VMWare Fusion. And use your search function to read what others have experienced.
I'd also suggest VirtualBox if you don't need many of the advanced features available in either Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
I've had my MBP a little over a year and love it. I am a Computer Forensic Examiner and will be certified at the end of the month. ( A long process I can assure you!) However, many of my programs, if not 99% of them are Windows based. However, I run ALL of my forensic software in a VM environment.

Due to the nature of what I do, I have both Parallels and VMWare. In the course of this past year both of these companies have provided updates to their respective platforms, so I have formed my opinion on both.

Now it is important to note, the programs I run, and the amount of processing my MBP does along with other windows open in spaces and running a duel monitor setup, I drive my system HARD! The Windows based forensic programs are especially processor and RAM intensive. I am pleased to report that getting either one of these programs will more than suit your needs for the Windows only software you may be required to run.

I can do a FULL forensic analysis with my MBP, and quite honestly, prefer it to my Windows based laptop. It runs beautifully. Now, for fairness, I did increase the RAM in my system to the maximum 8GB. Once i did that, there is no difference in how a my VM runs v. a comparable Win based computer.

If budget is an issue, you can purchase and install Crossover which is more a a VM shell for the Win based programs. I only recommend this if you don't have a lot of Win programs to run, and even then, the VM environment is simply a better performer.

My program of choice for intensive Windows programs, Parallels. I have validated my forensic findings with VMWare (A must do for forensics). I have notice that since the last upgrade of Parallels, it seems to be considerably more spry.

These are just my opinions based on my particular experiences and should be taken as such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
I have a 24" iMac 3.06 C2D with 8gb mem and 1tb hd AND a 15" MBP with Core i7, 8gb mem and 500gb hd.

I run Parallels on the iMac and Oracle Virtual Box on the MBP. I paid for Parallels and VB is free.

Parallels has a lot of bells and whistles that make it easier to use, but since a recent update, VB now recognizes my 500gb and 1 tb external drives. Previously I simply tried everything and couldn't get it to work. Both tax system resources, particularly memory (which is why both have 8gb: at 4gb it slowed the machines at 8gb it is next to unnoticeable).

The real constraint is memory. I had a 13 inch Aluminum Macbook which had a 2.4ghz C2D and when my iMac had 4gb memory they ran VB at about the same speed (maybe there was a difference but it wasn't noticeable). A real performance kick came in when I upgraded the iMac to 8gb. MUCH smoother. I just got my 15' MBP last year so it has the newer processor and I went to OWC to get the 8gb mem. Smooth as silk. I run memory and graphics hogging programs on Windows XP in the VB and no problems. Totally worth it and MUCH MUCH better than Bootcamping it. Bootcamp takes away disk space from the MAC OS X side of the machine and it is very difficult to transfer files from one OS to the other on Bootcamp. Advantage is that mem and processor are solely devoted to whichever OS you are running. Huge time disadvantage in that you have to restart all the time.

I find both Parallels and Virtual Box excellent VMs. I won't buy Parallels anymore since VB does everything I need.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Bootcamp takes away disk space from the MAC OS X side of the machine...
So does running a VM - the virtual hard drive takes up disk space as well ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
the virtual hard drive takes up disk space as well
correct, but when allocating space to the Windows side under Bootcamp, you have to leave free space that cannot be freely allocated back to the Mac side. The impact is far less when using a VM.

Reaction score
I'm trying to run Ubuntu 1010 using Virtualbox.

A couple of problems, one, every time I open it it wants me to install it again, and two, the screen is way to small and I can't see any settings either in Vbox or Ubuntu where I can increase it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The installer keeps popping up because the disk image (iso) is still likely attached to the VM. When the VM is off, select it > Settings > Storage > click the optical drive > and change to CD/DVD attribute by clicking on the picture of the optical disk. Change it to either the optical drive or nothing.

It's small because you need to install the guest additions. Take a look at this page for more info.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The image should be mounted as a drive. Open up a terminal window (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and execute the following:
Code:
cd /media/VB... (this mountpoint will differ depending on what version of VB you're using)
Press enter and then the following:
Code:
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
I believe that it was the additions are called.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.