External Monitor refresh rates

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2006 iMac with a broken screen, so purchased the mini DVI to DVI lead and an external monitor.

Having hooked it up I notice that the refresh rate that I am getting on the external monitor just isn't hight enough, the image isn't anywhere near as sharp as it was on the iMacs own screen.

Now I can fiddle about with the resolution but I dont seem to be able to change the refresh rates

I am running an X1600 graphics card in the machine and assumed it would be ok to run at 75mhz..

External monitor I am using is this one Benq G2222HDL 21.5" LED Monitor | Ebuyer.com

Any help appreciated

Stu

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am running an X1600 graphics card in the machine and assumed it would be ok to run at 75mhz..

I think you meant running it at 75Hz not MHz. Changing the refresh rate of the monitor will depend on what rates are available in System Preferences, Displays. Most likely the refresh rates that are not supported by that monitor will be grayed out. For example: My Samsung SyncMaster can only be set at 60Hz as other rates are not supported.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, yes Hz, not Mhz :)

However, within the Displays options there are no refresh rates to choose from, only resolutions, the refresh rates aren't greyed out, they are just not displayed anywhere at all

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It likely is already using the proper refresh rate. You might try DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.