Re-install OS and Restore everything back

Reaction score
HI,

Iv been having some minor problems with my keyboard with letters continuously typing as if the key was stuck. I was told by apple that its most likely the OS.

So to reinstall, Do I just need to insert the OS Cd?

And then I would like everything back to normal (ie: all my apps/software like office, final cut, blah blah) So do I just run a time machine backup right before installing the CD?

How do I get everything back after?

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome Bailey.

If you have a Ext HDD then hook that to your Mac and start time machine. Depending on how full your Int HDD is this could take some time.
Then insert your OS DVD and follow the prompts to reinstall it. Simple as that really.

To restore ill link you to the Mac Time Machine 101. This will also show you step by step to back up initially . . . .

I personally just use Migration Assistant user/applications/utilities/migration assistant.app

If you need more help be sure to pop back in

Cheers

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Im nervous I'll lose files or even my bookmarks and what not.

If I have a time machine backup, do I do a full erase/reboot of the system and then I'll be able to retrieve everything with time machine? Even bookmarks, etc?

or is it better to not do a full clean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You dont say what OS you are running.
If it is SL (snowleopard) then it will by default do a Archive and install. Which means it will Archive your current files, then it does a complete re-install of the OS and then finally puts the Archived files back in the OS . . . . .This way your Mac will be exactly the same as it was before the install.
All bookmarks etc will be there for you to use.
But 1st Still do a Back up with Time Machine and then go in and make sure it was backed up right. Once your happy your files have been backed up then commence the install.....

OR Back up with TM. Then to do a complete erase and install of the OS, insert the install DVD and reboot. Hold down the 'c' key as you do.
Once it boots and comes to the Language Page, choose language and hit enter.
Now goto the top menu bar and select Disk Utility. Once open, in the left coulumn choose yourHD. then the Erase Tab centre window.
Now make sure the format is set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Name or rename the HD then click the erase button.
Once it has re-formatted the HD quit Disk Utility and it will bring you to the installer window.
Go through the process now of doing a clean install of the OS.

Nearly there . . . .

Once it is finished the install (dont be tricked thinking it has finished as it will reboot within the install) go to yourHD>Applications>Utilities>Migration Assistant. Open it and now migrate all the files over from the Time Machine Back Up......

I think i covered everything, so if you still have questions please feel free to ask :)

Cheers

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm using Leopard. I think I'll try the archive and install first haha.... or buy Snowleopard...

Thanks for the advice!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.