opening multiple docs in Word for Mac

Reaction score
I hope this is a simple problem... If I have a doc open in Word for Mac and then want to open an additional doc, the second doc opens behind the first doc. I want to change the settings so that when I open a file, it opens on top of the previous file I already had open.

This only happens in Word for doc. If I open any other windows for other programs, they always open on top of whatever I already have open. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Just opened Word to have a look at the settings and can't find anything in there that could help with this issue i'm afraid it may be something you have to live with.

- Simon

Reaction score
I just tested it on Word for Mac 2011 and don't see this behavior? Are you on Office 2008?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't imagine what it is you're doing because I don't see that behavior in either Office 2008 nor 2011. I just tried again and again with multiple documents and the last document opened always opens on top. It's the same with the Windows version Office 2010.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
My new docs open on top as well. Office 2004

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Command ~ to cycle through them?

Reaction score
I have the same problem

I have the same problem, documents open on top and then immediately flash to behind the document I already had open. I have found others with the same problem on the internet, but no solution.

I am using Word 2008 version 12.2.8

Does anyone know if this is because I am not using spaces?

It is really annoying.

Thank you CrimsonRequiem being able to toggle through them will help, even if it does not exactly solve the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the same problem, documents open on top and then immediately flash to behind the document I already had open. I have found others with the same problem on the internet, but no solution.

I am using Word 2008 version 12.2.8

Does anyone know if this is because I am not using spaces?

I doubt it, but one way to find out is to activate Spaces. I use Spaces, and Office 2004, but for a long time, I had deactivated Spaces. This has not changed the behavior of Word at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just tried again and can't get the last document opened to open any other way except on top. And no, Spaces isn't going to make any difference.

Are you opening your documents in "Print View" mode or some other view? I use the Print View mode for all my documents. I don't doubt you're having this problem, it's just that I can't duplicate it on my system.

Reaction score
Could there be some sort of preference or other setting elsewhere (outside of Word) that could affect things? It's puzzling that some do or don't have the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hmmm... could be Stanley.
Perhaps try quitting word, dragging com.microsoft.Word.plist to the desktop.
You will find this in user/library/preferences.
Relaunch word and see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps try quitting word, dragging com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist to the desktop.
You will find this in Users/YouruserName/Library/Preferences/Microsoft.
Relaunch word and see what happens.

Fixed that for you. ;)
(Some folks might not equate "user" with their Home Folder, since there is a Users folder.)

I have the file without "prefs" in the Preferences folder. I just moved it out and opened a Word file. A new plist was not created. I think the one in the Microsoft folder is the one you want.

Reaction score
Possible Solution

An end-user was having a similar issue (but I'm not sure if this applies to OP's problem).

I found out that Office 2011 will reopen its previous state; meaning if you have (for example) six Word files open as you close Word, the next time you open any Word document it will reopen those same six documents no matter what.

Simply close all six documents individually before you close Word as a program.

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.