No sound transmitted from my 2010 Macbook Pro via HDMI

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a late 2010 macbook pro with audio capability from the mini display port. I purchased a Cablesson adapter:

Apple Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and connected it to my new Panasonic LCD tv (via the HDMI 'ARC' port) and the picture is spot on but there's no sound coming through the TV - only the internal speaker on the MBP. I've checked the sound output settings in System Preferences and the TV is recognised but it says "The Selected Device Has No Output Controls" and it won't let me adjust the volume. Does anyone have any ideas???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-F showmejb

The only thing i could be guessing is that particular HDMI cable doesnt carry audio. I dont think it would be a setting anywhere, but some HDMI cables dont carry audio. Have you had audio from it before ?? Can you try it out on another device to see if it has or not ??

Thats the 1st place i would look

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
TattooedMac - thanks for responding so quickly!! That sounds plausible - I didn't realise that some HDMI cables don't carry audio and the one I have is hardly the best. Cool - I'll splash out on a better cable and let you know if it works.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
To easy mate. Its a mistake a lot of people make. Me included had to learn the hard way. But with a receipt they allowed me to swap the $40 one to a $78 one that carried both ....
Glad i could help and yes let us know how it goes, as if you still get no sound we will have to investigate more :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Ive just done the same and thought the same. Just click your tv though and it will play sound. Its got bugger all to do with the cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive just done the same and thought the same. Just click your tv though and it will play sound. Its got bugger all to do with the cable.

What do you mean by "click the TV" ?? Not saying your way didnt work or thats not the problem but to state it has bugger all with the cable isnt correct. It could still well be the cable as there is HDMI cables that dont carry Audio.

Just explain to the OP what you did not just (Click the TV) so they can try out your option

Cheers

Reaction score
i'll not say you are wrong but Im 99.9% sure ALL HDMI cables carry audio. My $3 one from ebay does anyway, coupled with my $6 mini DP to HDMI convertor.

Im sure the OP will understand as its a direct reply to how he described it, but just incase and to satisfy tattooedmac...

Go System preferences \ Sound (audio) \ Output and click your TV. Mine says "The selected device has no output controls" Dont worry about that as it appears to be set to max anyway and you should have a remote for your tv!

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'll not say you are wrong but Im 99.9% sure ALL HDMI cables carry audio.

No they ALL dont or didnt ?? Everything changes so quickly in this day and age. I just got the information off bobtomay who is a TV cable guru. I changed my cable and it worked straight up

@OP if either of these options in this thread doesnt work, have a read through the Connecting your Mac to your TV Sticky. Has a lot of good information in there and bob does know what he is talking about ...

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 16/500/2.3GHz, iPad 4 32GB, iPhone 5 32GB
FYI, I just picked up the Kanex iAdapt V2 for our mid-10 MBP 13". The V2 is specifically designed for audio out of the DP via HDMI.

That being said, when I first connected it to our Sony TV, I only had audio from the internal speakers, I had to go into settings >> audio and there was a selection for choosing the output device: Internal or Sony TV, just picked the TV and we were good to go!

I might also mention that I gave some of the generic branded adapters a pass, just because there seemed to be some inconsistency with whether they really did/do carry audio.

Here's the product I picked up (but from US Amazon):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0041NFIBS/

OP
S
Reaction score
Cheers guys. Waiting for my new (audio enabled) cable now so fingers crossed.

Will let you know - I'd checked all the above settings already so hopefully this will do the trick. If not, i'll send em back :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
While you're waiting on your new HDMI cable - do as suggested by bryce86 - also, on the Panasonic, open up the settings for the HDMI port you're using and make sure that the Audio is set to digital, not analog - this is typical Panasonic and the way they enable the use of their HDMI ports being able to use separate audio.

Then try a different HDMI port on the TV.

The HDMI 'ARC' port is designed under HDMI 1.4 to send audio "out" through HDMI from the TV's tuner to a receiver rather than using an SPDIF cable.

I have not seen these newer ports on a TV yet, but would guess that Panasonic may have some setting on that port that allows it to switch between audio "in" and "out".

Your model # would help.

Reaction score
Sometimes this happens to me i have to keep my cable connected to my mac and restart it. not sure why it happens but it usually works after that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'd already tried bryce86's suggestion (and checked that the HDMI setting on my TV was set to digital) but still no sound came through. Another reason I think it could be down to the HDMI lead is that I couldn't get my TV (Panasonic TX-L37D28BS) to transmit sound to the blu-ray player (Panasonic SC-BT222EB-K) using the same cable (via the ARC port) either. I'm really hoping the new cable (due tomorrow) will do the trick but any other tips in the meantime would be much appreciated!

OP
S
Reaction score
Success!! The new 'Neet' HDMI cable arrived yesterday and I now have audio as well as video. Thanks to TattooedMac for the tip and to everyone else too.

Showmejb

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for reporting back.

Just to be clear, you replaced the HDMI cable and are still using the Adapter you linked to in the first post?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Success!! The new 'Neet' HDMI cable arrived yesterday and I now have audio as well as video. Thanks to TattooedMac for the tip and to everyone else too.

Showmejb

Great news showme. Glad we could help out.

Be sure to return

Cheers

Reaction score
Thanks for bryce86!

Had the same issue - assumed that since I could not control the volume on the computer and read "the selected device has no output controls" that I was getting nothing.

Oh ye of little faith. Turned on some music and instant pleasure. Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.