Create a startup drive for a remote Mac?

Reaction score
My Mom has a G4 iMac 1GHz, the cool, swivel-flat screen model which I want to upgrade for her with a clean install of Leopard and some apps.

I'm wondering if I can create the startup drive here at home, before my visit, and then just clone* it over to her iMac via an external firewire drive. That way I can set it up a bit for her in advance and don't have to worry about bringing all my CD/DVDs with me.

So does the Mac that you're installing the OS from have anything to do with what files actually get installed? I've got a G5 2.5GHz DP desktop here and also an iBook G4 1.33GHz (closest thing to hers - even uses the same RAM), that I could use to install the OS with, using an external HD.

Does that sound like it would work? The plan would be to install the OS here, on a fresh HD, then boot from the external HD and add extra software like Skype, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.