did i just lose all my photos??

Reaction score
I have a macbook and bought an external drive for it in August. I take a lot of photos, so to clear up some space I moved my iphoto library and extra photos hanging out in my folders to the external drive. Everything has been fine since then - tonight I opened my iphoto to import some photos and it says there are no photos. I try opening it from the "iphoto library" icon on my external drive and still nothing. I don't even know where else to look right now or what to do next...any advice would be greatly appreciated. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hold down the Alt key when you click on iPhoto album and select 'Choose Library' to choose the one on your hard disk.

C

chas_m

It's hard to say what happened exactly, but chances are you photos are NOT gone -- just your access to them is hampered via some corruption.

First question: do you have a backup? If the answer is "no," punch yourself in the face -- HARD -- and then let us know that and we'll proceed to explain how to check the iPhoto Library package for survivors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.