MacBook Pro won't boot, test says HD is ok

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro (purchased October '09) won't boot up, it's just hung up on the gray screen with the spinning icon. I installed the OS-X install disc and ran the disk utility. It tested the hard drive and said it was ok, I then selected to boot from the hard drive and again it's hung up. If I bring it to the Apple store will they be able to salvage the contents of the hard drive if a repair is necessary? Any help would be appreciated......

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Sound like you have corrupted your boot kernel. You can do a archive install. I believe that is what Apple will do. Some will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
I just searched and read how to do the Archive Install. It appears to make an image of all your files, so am I correct to assume I would not loose my pics, music, documents, etc? Also I just tried to start it up in safe mode and am having the same results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
I just searched and read how to do the Archive Install. It appears to make an image of all your files, so am I correct to assume I would not loose my pics, music, documents, etc? Also I just tried to start it up in safe mode and am having the same results.

You are correct. You will not loose any of your things on your computer. Good luck!

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll try it in a little bit and let ya know how it went.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.