Installing Windows - Precisions

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new Macbook Pro and just realized that for school, I need a software (TIBCO Spotfire S+) that can't be installed on Mac.

I was considering installing it using Boot camp and Windows, but I would like to know how all of it is working. I have a few questions.

1) How is it working, in general? Will a be able to open a session using Mac, but I need to open another session to use Windows?
2) When I will be using Mac, are there more risks that my computer gets infected?
3) I am planning on not using the Internet when I will be using Windows. Can I catch viruses anyways?

Thank you very much,

Frederique

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe that software can run in a Virtual Machine environment rather than from a Boot Camp install of Windows.

Download the free Oracle VirtualBox software from here: LINK and then install a copy of Windows. To run Spotfire you can use W2K, XP, Vista, or Win 7 whichever you prefer. You will need to purchase a legal copy of Windows, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
1) How is it working, in general? Will a be able to open a session using Mac, but I need to open another session to use Windows?

Correct. In order to boot in Windows, you will have to restart and select Windows.
2) When I will be using Mac, are there more risks that my computer gets infected?
No, there is no extra risk.
3) I am planning on not using the Internet when I will be using Windows. Can I catch viruses anyways?
No, the only way you can get virus is if you are connected to the internet and download a infected app.

Reaction score
If you like using OSX then use a virtual machine. I use VmWare Fusion. I use that for Linux and NetBSD too. If you want to run stand alone Windows then don't worry ... Windows runs better on a MAC than it does in a PC. Vulnerability to viruses is about the same on both systems, except hackers like to infect Windows more since Windows is more popular ... so use the free version of Avast on Windows (even if you are running in a virtual system). The only problem I know of running BootCamp on a MAC is that Acronis backup will not work (an Acronis bug, not a MAC problem) ... for backups use Paragon for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.