Address book disappeared...

Reaction score
My address book app has disappeared - when I click on its icon in the tray, it never appears, though the little blue light below the icon comes on. I've tried restarting the iMac, with no success. The data seems to be intact; when I sync my iPhone, the contacts are there as usual.

Any ideas? The machine is an iMac 8.1 running OS 10.6.5.

Thanks,

Gary

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about the Applications folder, is the Address Book.app there? If it is, just drag a copy onto your DOCK (left side). Or run the Address Book.app from the applications folder by double clicking on it.

If the Address Book.app is missing or was inadvertently deleted you'll have to reinstall it from your original install media.

OP
R
Reaction score
I tried launching address book from the app folder, and the result was the same - the address book icon on the desktop "bounces" and the blue light comes on below the icon, but no address book appears.
I'm thinking that the address book is running "somewhere" but isn't visible, for some reason. I've looked all over the desktop for the edge of a window, or something like that, but can't find anything.

Gary

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you right click the app in the Dock, are you given the option to "show" the app (it may be hidden)?

OP
R
Reaction score
When I right click the icon in the dock, I'm given the option to "hide", not "show", unfortunately...

Gary

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you ever used more than one monitor at a time? Sometimes when I unplug my second monitor, an app appears not off screen but close to it sometimes (I can only see part of the application in a corner of the screen for example).

OP
R
Reaction score
Vansmith, you're today's genius!

A few days ago, I made a not particularly successful effort to use a second monitor with Adobe Lightroom, didn't think it helped, and shut off the second monitor.
When I turned it on just now, there was my address book!

Thanks a million,

Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.