pajmarn zum

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can advise me. I want to use some adobe software on my macbook pro which is connected to the internet. However I understand the these applications (indesign, photoshop etc) randomly connect to the internet to adobe to check verification and install updates.

I don’t like updating software versions and prefer to leave them alone once installed. Do these programmes only connect to the internet when I am using them or can they connect even when the application is closed.

If I have the application open, can I just turn off my airport extreme when using the software to stop it connecting when I don’t want it, and then quit the application and put my airport back on afterwards?

Sorry for the long question but I got a Mac rather than a PC because I don’t like all the updates and auto logging onto websites.

Thanks

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope someone can advise me. I want to use some adobe software on my macbook pro which is connected to the internet. However I understand the these applications (indesign, photoshop etc) randomly connect to the internet to adobe to check verification and install updates.

I don’t like updating software versions and prefer to leave them alone once installed. Do these programmes only connect to the internet when I am using them or can they connect even when the application is closed.

If I have the application open, can I just turn off my airport extreme when using the software to stop it connecting when I don’t want it, and then quit the application and put my airport back on afterwards?

Sorry for the long question but I got a Mac rather than a PC because I don’t like all the updates and auto logging onto websites.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
An application can't update itself without your consent, if there is an update available it will ask you before installing it.

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Simon

But can the application communicate with adobe if my airport is turned off ie can it turn it on to communicate without my permission. I just don't like the idea of this. Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
No you have to turn the Airport back on.

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Updates to software on your Mac are actually beneficial and usually do not cause problems as some Windows updates and software do. Simply put, Mac OS X is not Windows. You need to let go of the Windows paranoia.

To answer your question though.... most software will ask you prior to updating. (I've only run into a couple of programs that will automatically download updates without asking.) All you have to do is refuse the update.

Note, however, if you refuse to download updates you risk not being able to use the program if the operating system has been updated. And if you refuse to update your operating system you may be missing out on new features and enhancements, some of them involving security.

To sum up: I do not recommend you go that route.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Rob78

Do not Cross Post or Double Post. Your question has already been answered once before. I've merged both posts together here with the original.

OP
R
Reaction score
Appologies, I am new to this!

So if I go to my apple menu when conected to the internet and pull down and click software updates does it give me a list of updates for all applications on my machine or just apple software. If so does the Adobe software only offer an upgrade when I am using that software and am connected to the internet?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Software update from the Apple menu is primarily for Apple software. If memory serves right (as I don't currently have Adobe on my MBP) adobe will check for updates when connected to the internet when you start the program but will ASK you if you want to install the updates.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anytime

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.