Text to speech - Changing the language

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Wasn't sure where to put this thread but I guess as the speak highlighted text command on the Mac is inbuilt to the OS this might be the best place.

I use it quite a lot actually if there's a word that I've never seen before or can't read too well (I'm dyslexic so it helps a fair bit more that you'd think!)

Recently I've tried my hand a learning to speak French, having good old Mac speech veteran 'Alex' speak French words on French websites to me would be great.

BUT! How do I change the speech language, he seems to just sound out the French words syllables in English which makes it come out wrong!

Any ideas? I'm hoping this is a one button fix!!!!

Cheers! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a guess on my part here, but it's likely that you would have to change the language preference on your Mac from English to French before Alex would start speaking French.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.