Remove programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Drag it from the Applications folder to the trash.

OP
E
Reaction score
Drag it from the Applications folder to the trash.

What about the associated files like startup files and file associations? I see people talking about AppZapper but it is only for OSX 10.6 and I have OSX 10.5.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try AppCleaner. One thing to note is that if an application has an uninstaller, make sure to use that as opposed to simply dragging it to the Trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What about the associated files like startup files and file associations? I see people talking about AppZapper but it is only for OSX 10.6 and I have OSX 10.5.

Unlike Windows those sort of things will not negativley impact the Mac. Apps don't throw random files hither and yon in the system, everything important is kept in the App which is itself just a container for all of it's parts. What is left are prefs files and maybe a startup file which simply take up a little space, but do nothing else.

A good rule of thumb is if an App came with an uninstaller (some do), use it. Otherwise, you don't need one.

FYI, AppZapper is available for 10.5.8 (I'm running it) you just have to look for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
So there is really no need for AppCleaner or AppZapper?

In some cases a 3rd ware party to un-install apps are not needed because the developers include a un-installer app. AppZapper is just a good app to have incase the app you want to un-install doesn't come with a installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Uninstalling on a Mac is generally less hassle than on Windows. The registry allows all sorts of files to be installed all over the place. Dragging an application to the trash should usually do the trick (unless there is a specific uninstaller to use). The one or two little files left behind are in your Library folder, just taking up a few kb, not affecting anything. IF you really want to get rid of every little trace of an application, you can try AppCleaner, but it's not necessary at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So there is really no need for AppCleaner or AppZapper?

The Windows types like them, because it satisfies some sort of compulsion they've become used to.

I've never used an uninstaller. They doubtless take more space than all the preferences files you'll ever accumulate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.