Mac Pro Freeze

Reaction score
I was editing in FCP and for some odd reason it was rendering to the hard disk. I noticed my hard disk went from 30 gigs free to 2. I checked my setting in FCP and it said it was rendering to my external HD so I was confused.

I then went to reset my computer thinking it was a bug, and now my comp takes like 5 mins to boot up and when it boots up and I try to open finder or any other app it just sits in the color wheel. I really do not understand what's going on.

Is there a way to hook my mac pro HD to my Mac Book Pro and use my lap top to run Disk Warrior? Maybe the directories got all screwed up.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why don't you boot your Mac Pro with the Disk Warrior DVD and run the check and repair that way? Also, it sounds like you may have run out of space on that hard drive and that's why it's taking so long to boot up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And if that does not do the trick download Applejack and run in AUTO mode. Read the instructions that come with this handy little utility.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

OP
V
Reaction score
Why don't you boot your Mac Pro with the Disk Warrior DVD and run the check and repair that way? Also, it sounds like you may have run out of space on that hard drive and that's why it's taking so long to boot up.

Yea, sorry I forgot that you could boot Disk Warrior off the disk. I did repair the disk with Disk Warrior but I still have the same problems. I am guessing you are right that my hard drive is full, but what do i do? How can I free up space if I can't even access the Finder. thanks.

OP
V
Reaction score
Sorry for double posting, just wanted to update what i have been doing... i hooked up my macpro to my lap top in target mode and there was 2 gigs free, so that means it did not run out of disk space right? I freed up some space, about 10 gigs..I then rebooted my Mac Pro and still it took a while to boot. I went to open finder and this time the finder window opened but still its frozen with the color wheel spinning. Any ideas? Is it possible I got a virus? Macs can get them now no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No viruses for Mac OS X.

You need about 15% free space on your hard drive for it to operate anywhere near efficiently so you may need a larger hard drive. DiskWarrior 4.1 is a $99 program and you must have the DVD 1001 version for an Intel Mac Pro. Are you confusing this with your system install disc?

The DVD 1001 is a $20 upgrade from Alsoft.

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
V
Reaction score
yea but i have gone long stretches with only like 20 gigs and everything worked fine...if i delete stuff it will what magically start working? Is there something else I need to do first? Do I need to format it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No just drag to Trash what you do not want and empty. A utility such as AppTrap will help and it is freeware. Then go into Disk Utility and Erase Free pace.

OP
V
Reaction score
So I freed up 15 percent about 36 gigs, and the computer does boot up, and doesn't freeze..but everything is still running very slowly. Still takes 3-5 mins to boot up, and whenever I click on an app I get some color wheel lag. So progress but still something is wrong no? I ran disk warrior again and still the same results.

Could I of caused some hardware damage by not keeping 15 percent free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really just slowed everything down and with 36GB free you are still suffering from that problem. 15% of 300GB is 45 odd GB. For now try Repairing Permissions and if still no joy, did you run Applejack?

OP
V
Reaction score
Not really just slowed everything down and with 36GB free you are still suffering from that problem. 15% of 300GB is 45 odd GB. For now try Repairing Permissions and if still no joy, did you run Applejack?

i ran applejack, cleared space...My computer is still running slow, and having application freezing issues..

OP
V
Reaction score
Another thing I find very weird is when I try moving files off my start up onto my other internal drives it takes HOURS and then it never finishes and says there are files that are unreadable. This is really bad because some of those files are really critical. Again I did all the applejack stuff, as far as repairing disks and etc...

I have regular leopard installed, maybe I should upgrade to snow leopard? Will that be enough to correct whatever software issue there is? Could this be a hardware problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First up are both drives formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and GUID partitioning selected from the Partition portion of Disk Utility? If yes then boot up from the install Leopard disc, go to the Menu bar select Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there on both/all drives and see what is reported. If there are no problem dragging files should be pretty well instantaneous.

Think yoiu have a hardware problem for sure voodo.

OP
V
Reaction score
First up are both drives formatted Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and GUID partitioning selected from the Partition portion of Disk Utility? If yes then boot up from the install Leopard disc, go to the Menu bar select Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there on both/all drives and see what is reported. If there are no problem dragging files should be pretty well instantaneous.

Think yoiu have a hardware problem for sure voodo.

There is a problem dragging files, as the larger ones it says some files are corrupted and it can't be read.

I dont understand why repairing the disk from the leopard disk would be different from disk utility or apple jack.

I am trying to use i defrag, and there is a A LOT of red. could that be the problem? I try to run i defrag and it chrashed my machine. now its just running REALLY slowly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep defrag utilities well away from your Mac Pro and this sounds like a lot of your problems. To repair a hard drive you must boot from the Leopard disc and hit Repair Disk. If you go to Disk Utiliky on the drive, you will see the Repair Disk option is grayed out and not available.

This is because you cannot unmount and repair a drive you are booted from.

OP
V
Reaction score
how come no defrag? Everyone else i talk to tell me disk warrior, idefrag, and like u said the start up disk are the critical components to maintain a mac.

I am def going to track down my disks, or get them from a friend because i am not totally sure where they are. could of gotten lost when i moved. Im so used to my macs never failing I never really had to do anything like this...and I have been using macs for like 10 years. Good learning lesson.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well voodoo ALL computers fail. Make sure the discs you borrow are 100% compatible with your machine. If they are the silver.gray system discs, his Mac Pro needs to be the same model sold about the same time.

Read this on defrag with OS X:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1634

OP
V
Reaction score
since its a very specific kind of disk do u think apple would send me a backup copy if I lost it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.