Browser slowing down on Imac - advice needed

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here so I hope this is the right section to post.

I have got the following issue going on with my Imac.
My Imac is a recently new purchased 27" one with Intel Core i3, 8 gig of Ram, 1TB hard drive.

When I launch a browser, does not matter if it is FF, Safari or any other browser, it activates my 1TB external USB hard drive, and this slows down the browser.

Is there any way I can stop the browser activating the USB drive without unplugging the drive?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Try unplugging the external and see if that makes a difference. Any chance the external is also USB powered, with no mains connection and is drawing too much power?

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the reply.

The USB drive is mains powered, and when I unplug it, it stops.
But I would like to know if there is a way that my browser on the Imac it does not activate the USB drive?

Reason being that the USB has got applications (programs) on it that I use on the Imac as well as on my Macbook when I am at work.

Reaction score
Were you able to obtain a solution?

I am experiencing the same problem with my browser, as well as when I get mail in the Apple mail application. I am using an IMAC as well as a G-Raid dual external drive. The hard drive is format without journaling, as someone recommended. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.