Backup to ext HD's & Partitioning

wix

Reaction score
Hi, i am fairly new to the forum and joined as i am wanting to make backups of my mac.

I have 2 USB 2.0 external hard drives, one 500MB and one NEW 1.5TB. I currently use the 500MB just for my itunes but i want to transfer the itunes folder to the 1.5TB and then i want to use the 1.5TB as a back up of my mac files too and use the 500MB drive as a second back up of the mac files (i dont think it would fit mac files and itunes on the 500MB drive).

I dont know about partitioning and how to back this all up properly. I was going to use Superduper as advised from a previous thread but i am not sure you can use this when partitioning?

I have formatted the new 1.5TB drive using disc utility following an Apple forum guide but i dont think the 500MB drive has been formatted. My plan was to copy the itunes folder from 500MB to 1.5TB, then format the 500MB ready to use and then create the backups but i am unsure how to do this, how to partition correctly and copy to a partition, and which utility to use. I am wanting a bootable backup of my mac but then in future want to run incremental backups of all updated files and folders.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Wix. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
For backing up I would recommend Time Machine, (located in Applications > Utilities), as for partitioning use Disk Utility again, it's simple to use and very user intuitive. I have posted a link to a site explaining further in depth/ step-by-step how to partition.
Please note that this guide is also applicable for Snow Leopard (I don't know which version you are using.
Formatting & Partitioning a Hard Drive in OS X
Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
W

wix

Reaction score
thanks

I am still running on 10.4 so i cant use Time Machine. I read your article and thats really cleared things up for me and i will follow that.

My only query is that it says to use a firewire drive. Mine are both USB - can these still be used- does it just mean that it will take longer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It will take longer as USB is a slowly medium than Firewire, but they can still be used!

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.