Just for fun: likes and dislikes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I'm new to Mac and I think it would be interesting if you could list the three things you like and the three things you dislike (if any) the most about your Mac(s).

After a few weeks, mine are:

1) Dock and the control over multiple open windows
2) Spotlight
3) Look & feel

Dislikes:

1) iTunes
2) Some Finder issues (folders first and this kind of thing)
3) No Preferences dialog box for QuickTime Player X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Likes: Overall layout, file organization, expose (seriously, makes multitasking so quick), dock. And let's face it: All the eye candy!

Dislikes: Generally not much to complain about as far as the OS, itself, is concerned. Not a fan of saving using open office, however, as I have to save to predetermined folders, then move my file.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Somehow this feels like a survey. >_>"

2. No Virus Scans
3. Dock

Dislikes:
1. Not a lot of customizing options IE. Overclocking, hardware options, etc.
2. lack of some hardware not being supported
3. Have to install windows to run some applications. >_<"

Reaction score
Like:
This list could be extensive, but sitting at the top is Time Machine. It's a great program that's saved my bacon more than once. It really makes backing up thoughtless, and restoration a snap.

Dislike:
Finder. There's not much I like about Windows, but Microsoft's Explorer is the king of file management. In comparison, Finder is just weak. It doesn't provide enough information, doesn't allow you to create or extend global preferences, has an awful path bar, and more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Quite tough to pick really, I like almost everything about the OS, so listing the things I hate will be easiest, however, top 3 things I like.

1> iTunes. People hate it, but when you get used to it I think it's integration with your iPods etc. can't be bettered. Granted iTunes 10 still needs some improvements, but I still like it.
2> Time Machine. Simply excellent back up utility, couldn't be easier.
3> Toast (ok not an Apple product, but it's great!)

Hate:

1. Safari. The 2nd worst browser ever behind IE. Rubbish.
2. Safari....
3. Safari.... :D
Ok,
2. Disk Utility when used for disc burning. Convoluted methods as far as I;m concerned, hence the vote for Toast.
3. iPhoto. I really hate the way it keeps your photo's organised in it's file structure. It's massively complex for no reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
iCal
Finder sidebar
Dock
60 second shutdown warning

Dislikes:
Spotlight (it just doesn't work for me)
Office for Mac 2004 Excel glitches

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
Expose
Safari
Time Machine

Dislike:
Spotlight
Shutdown warning
My budget won't allow for more software at the moment. I really don't want to put Windows on this thing. :D
ETA: I hate the bookmark organizing in Safari on my Mac. It's easier to organize them on my iPad and then sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
For the spotlight dislike - what don't you like? If it is finding documents check out this article. I have punakea and tagger installed. By adding tags to files, like you would in delicious for bookmarks, it helps you find files easier. Then you can just search on tags, like work, client name, or something that should bring up all files tagged with that tag in spotlight.
Quick File Tagging in OS X with Punakea (& Tagger) : hasseg.org

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Finder. There's not much I like about Windows, but Microsoft's Explorer is the king of file management. In comparison, Finder is just weak. It doesn't provide enough information, doesn't allow you to create or extend global preferences, has an awful path bar, and more.

I guess everyone has their opinion regarding Finder and the Windows Explorer. While I agree Finder is weak in some ways, I wouldn't exactly call the Windows File Explorer the king of file management. I could name at least a half dozen Explorer substitutes which are popular going all the way back to the "Norton Commander".

Which reminds me, a nice free file manager substitute for the Finder can be downloaded from here. It's called "muCommander".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
For the spotlight dislike - what don't you like? If it is finding documents check out this article.

Yeah, searching for documents. It never finds them. Haven't had one success, even looking for a file I'm looking at.

No time to read the article. Car accident today, recording the game while I'm doing this to unwind, then will skip the commercials and catch up...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
My likes are:
1. Dock
2. iChat
3. Safari

My dislike:
1. Nothing :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
I think it's a case of in Windows 7 I start typing the first few letters of a filename in some arcane location and bam, there it is. I keep expecting spotlight to do the same, but it almost never does. Maybe I am expecting something it just isn't designed to do?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think it's a case of in Windows 7 I start typing the first few letters of a filename in some arcane location and bam, there it is. I keep expecting spotlight to do the same, but it almost never does. Maybe I am expecting something it just isn't designed to do?

Using your Windows hat when working on a Mac is not going to give you the best results. >_>"

I can do that on my Mac just fine. I type the first three letters and it usually gets it on the first three hits on the list. I try doing that on Windows 7 and the results are hit and miss a lot of the time. >_>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Like:
OS X and the way it increases my productivity.
Dislike:
The price of my MPB

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Maybe spotlight needs reindexing ?? Just saying ..... If its that bad.

C

chas_m

Dislikes: Yeah, the lack of preferences in QT X *is* pretty annoying. Other than that ... really ... nothing (well, there's always a tweak here or there, but other than trivial bs honestly there's nothing).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Like:

1. how a 5 year old Mac can still run the latest version so the OS well and can still game and photoshop relatively well too. Very few 5 year old windows boxes can do that.

2. Itunes. Yes it's just a quicktime wrapper. But it organises my music so well. Honestly it's the app that is so good I use it and never even think about it. I would know it exists at times. It's just there and fits so well into my life it's invisible.

3. The App store. Sure it's got a long way to go. But I like where it's heading. It paints a nice future for OS X.

Dislike:

1. Ping. It's crap, terrible, not good etc etc. You get the idea.

2. Not being able to currently buy a 21.5 inch imac with a quad core cpu.

3. The alu and glass imacs not having a light to show screen sleep and hard drive spin down sleep. The white imacs has such a light. But the alu and glass ones do not. And I'll miss it when I upgrade my imac.

C

chas_m

I don't agree that Ping is terrible. It's neither bad nor good, it just lies there like a lump. :)

I suspect that Apple will eventually find a way to make it worthwhile, but right now it's just something I play with when I'm in iTunes. I enjoy letting people know what stuff I'm listening too, and see what some of my favourite artists are listening too. There obviously needs to be more than just that to make it really worthwhile, I hope they can make FB integration happen that would *really* help (both services, quite frankly!).

I think Apple correctly identified a NEED with Ping (people sharing about their passion for music), but their implementation so far has been hobbled. It needs a far more "forum-esque" approach, FB and MySpace integration (actually maybe Apple should just BUY MySpace and give it a HUGELY MUCH-NEEDED makeover).

I just hope they don't give up on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
I'd probably agree with you chas_m about Ping. I signed up, got bored in 2 mins and haven't been back. Having said that, it is hardly making my life more difficult. Hopefully it does something useful at some point though.

Like:
1. Beautiful hardware. Love my G4 Cube, iMac, iPhone etc. They all look and feel amazing. I have. Yet to see that attention to detail in any other hardware manufacturer.

2. Longevity. I have a computer that is 10 years old able to do everything I ask of it bar YouTube videos and it still looks good doing it. That isn't bad!

3. Integration. I like that the company making the hardware is making the OS. I just feel everything is tighter and slicker without OEM bloatware or however many versions of the OS for net books upwards just to cope with the disparate speeds of machines.

Dislike:

1. Lack of major upgradeability. Coupled with the lack of mid-range tower. I love tinkering and there isn't anything for me to expand from in my modern machines. Just RAM and HDD. I would have to buy a secondhand Mac Pro to fulfil that urge, and I find it a tiny bit annoying!

Nothing else really bothers me too much about the machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.