HELP! How to get Mac to recognise Seagate 'Expansion' External Hard Drive???

Reaction score
I have a macbook, running on Snow Leopard. I also have an Airport Extreme base which is working flawlessly.

I purchased a Seagate 'Expansion' model External Hard Drive for backing up files. I was told by the sales assistant to plug it into the Airport Extreme and it should prompt me to do the rest. Ok I took it home. I plug it into Airport Extreme and there is no prompt, no nothing, although I can see this new drive in Airport Utility. Apart from this, I can't see to get it to work.

My question is how do I get it to work so I can start backing up files??

I am really new to this, so I'd appreciate if someone send me step by step instructions.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need to format the drive to Mac Os Extended (journaled) in disk utility.

Plug the drive into your Mac, open Disk Utility (MacintoshHD> Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility) and the select the drive from the list, click the erase tab and there's a menu for what format to select, pick the one suggested and reformat.
You should then be good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bet you never purchased it at an Apple reseller if you were not told to format the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.