How does air flow through a Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB, Leopard, 2.1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 144 mb integrated VRAM, bluetooth.
I know that fans are built into Macbooks. But, I was just reading about users attempting cooling mods for their Macbooks...and, it dawned on me. There are no open vents on my white Macbook. Every other computer in the world requires some form of obvious ventilation to keep it running at full speed. I suppose this sounds like a very stupid question. But, here it is: How does air flow through a Macbook? How does it keep cool enough to run?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I know that fans are built into Macbooks. But, I was just reading about users attempting cooling mods for their Macbooks...and, it dawned on me. There are no open vents on my white Macbook. Every other computer in the world requires some form of obvious ventilation to keep it running at full speed. I suppose this sounds like a very stupid question. But, here it is: How does air flow through a Macbook? How does it keep cool enough to run?
Thanks.

The vast majority of air coming in comes through the keyboard opening, and exits out of the hinge opening between the keyboard and screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
To add to what idrinorbarsaku said I cringe everytime I see a keyboard cover on a MB knowing that it has to limit airflow.

OP
PowerofUNIX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MB, Leopard, 2.1 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 144 mb integrated VRAM, bluetooth.
To add to what idrinorbarsaku said I cringe everytime I see a keyboard cover on a MB knowing that it has to limit airflow.

Yeah. Interesting...I understand that a part of purchasing a Mac is the aesthetic appeal that Apple works on for its products. However, that really seems like a fairly severe sacrifice of functionality for the sake of looks. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Yeah. Interesting...I understand that a part of purchasing a Mac is the aesthetic appeal that Apple works on for its products. However, that really seems like a fairly severe sacrifice of functionality for the sake of looks. Thoughts?

How did you get from keyboard as an air vent to "aesthetic appeal"? It's the most logical idea on earth from the viewpoint of reliability to increase air flow.

C

chas_m

In no way whatsoever does Apple's design of cooling -- on any model -- qualify as a "sacrifice of functionality." In point of fact, Apple's cooling designs are the envy of the entire industry (and widely copied), as they result in the quietest personal computers available. With no loss of functionality.

The plastic MacBooks in fact use the hinge area for BOTH intake and outflow (separate areas):

http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/64125/Unibody+MacBook:+Where+does+the+air+go+in+and+out

(the author of the question incorrectly refers to the white plastic MacBook as being "unibody." It isn't.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
The first time I checked out a Macbook Pro aluminum unibody, I marveled at the enclosure yet with no obvious air flow vent to keep the unit cool when most laptops have them in plain site. Those vents served as terrible dust magnets also. I think Apple's airflow design is a good combination of hardware aesthetics and functionality. In a way it takes more creativity to get away from just lazily adding perforated cooling vents underneath and around the unit. Might even takes away the structural integrity if isn't done right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.