How to automatically connect to a server when you log in

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I want my Mac to automatically connect to a Windows PC when I log in. I followed the steps described here:

Mac OS X: How to automatically connect to a server when you log in

However, when I log in, my Mac tells my that the volume is unavailable. I suspect that it wants to connect to the Windows PC before it connects to my wireless network. Any suggestions how to remedy this?

Reaction score
If it's a matter of timing, I'd suggest creating an Automator program that runs as a startup item. You can use Automator (in your Applications folder) to record the process of manually connecting to the server, and save that process as an application.

Then, you can add that saved application to your Login Items (System Preferences > Accounts > Your Account Name > Login Items) and it should run, I'm pretty sure, after all of OSX's default startup items which would include network connections.

Let us know if it works.

Z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
login items will work

just login to the server and gets its icon on the desktop

Go to  > System Preferences > Accounts

Go to the login items tab

Drag the server icon from the desktop to login items and you are done (if you loged in and saved the server login to the keychain then it will appear without a login dialogue)

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
If it's a matter of timing, I'd suggest creating an Automator program that runs as a startup item. You can use Automator (in your Applications folder) to record the process of manually connecting to the server, and save that process as an application.

Well, I couldn't figure out which Automator action I should use.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have something like this in place to mount my iTunes volume before iTunes launches. TRy using these two actions:

1. Get Specified Servers - When you drop this action into the window on the right click the triangle to expand this action. From there you can select the server(s) you want to mount.
2. Connect to Servers

Once you have tested this within Automator save it as an application. Add this to your login items. Sometimes it is necessary to add a pause statement if you are going to have additional steps that you want to add.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.