Monitor turning itself off

Reaction score
I've run into a very nasty problem with my macbook (late 2007 normal macbook model I think). Whenever it closes, the monitor goes black. This is normal. What isn't normal is this: whenever I open it and then either start it/awaken it, it gives me the screen... and then the monitor turns the brightness off again! This happens randomly, I have to close and open my screen quite a few times to get it to work-even if I restart the computer. :( I don't what's causing this, or how to fix it, although I have a hunch that it's the hinge on the back... I have the tools and instructions needed to open my machine up if it's a fairly simple fix, but I need to know what's going on first. :( Please help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you decide to start taking your MacBook apart, try resetting the SMC first as that controls the display on and off when opening and closing the lid. See this LINK.

OP
T
Reaction score
Nope. Doesn't help. :( Just tried it, and the problem is still there. I really think it's hardware related, as it just started to turn up after I tried to replace my disk drive (the operation failed solely because the replacement part was the wrong one; taking apart and putting it back together went perfectly, or so I thought... then this problem shows up a few days later.) I really need help-now I can't get the display to stay bright at all, and although something does show up on the screen, it's so dim I can't see it at all!

EDIT: I think it's getting progressively worse...

OP
T
Reaction score
Update: I can get the monitor to run or a little while by dropping the brightness to nothing, and then raising it, but then it keeps on dimming it for some reason... I have no idea what's going on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.