Mac Mail & Googlemail account

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just added my google account to Snow Leopards Mail application. I did it via the automatic process whereby I just enter my email and password and Mail does the rest...

Its working fine in the context of downloading emails and showing the correct folder structure, however my question is this....

Is it possible for Mail to be configured so any changes I make in Mail are reflected Googlemail account - i.e. totally syncing them. I noticed it does not do this when I tidied up my inbox and put mail in folders; the Googlemail account online was unchanged! :Angry:

Hope you can help, thanks in advance

Matthew

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think Mail sets up Gmail as a POP account by default. Try this:

- Open Mail preferences, go to accounts and delete your Gmail account there
- Set up Gmail according to these instructions instead: Apple Mail 3.0 - Gmail Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I think Mail sets up Gmail as a POP account by default.

Not sure this is correct. All my Gmail accounts are set up as IMAP and not POP . . . The live account i have is POP but not Gmail

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Not sure this is correct. All my Gmail accounts are set up as IMAP and not POP . . . The live account i have is POP but not Gmail

Cheers

Ah, thanks for the correction! I seem to remember that Mail used to default to setting Gmail up with POP… must have changed at some point!

matttnt1 said:
Is it possible for Mail to be configured so any changes I make in Mail are reflected Googlemail account - i.e. totally syncing them. I noticed it does not do this when I tidied up my inbox and put mail in folders; the Googlemail account online was unchanged!

But if it's IMAP, then it should already be doing this…

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.