CD Drive Beeping

Reaction score
So I've had a bit of a nightmare day, I was looking to upgrade my MacBook (13-inch Late 2007) so I bought 2x1GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive and everything is going wrong. My main concern at the moment is fixing my CD drive but obviously I need explain the full situation since its probably one of these things thats upset it.

First I put the new RAM in and turned on the computer to a blank screen. I opened it up again and double checked I pushed them in firm enough, 2nd attempt.. nothing :S blank screen. So i put my 512MB's back in and it worked fine again.

So I figured I'd try sort that later, maybe I got the wrong ones or something and decided to get started with the hard drive. Got it all in place, made sure it was in firmly also and switched it on holding down C to boot from my Leopard disk, and my CD drive starts making this crazy beeping sound?! I've googled a lot and there are several explainations for what each type of bleeping can mean but its usually to do with the hard drive and this noise was definitely coming from the right hand side by the CD drive. So I figured maybe it didn't like the disk and tried again using the ones that came with the laptop... same bleeping. I did the same as before, checked the hard drive was in properly and it seemed to be, problem persisted so I put my old hard drive back in and everything booted up normally. So then just to check, I put my Leopard disk in again whilst on my desktop, and this crazy bleeping noise is happening still. I can hear the disk spinning as if its trying to read it like it usually would, with this strange noise over the top of it and then it kinda gives up and spits the disk back out. I tried to count the bleeps but theyr quite fast. There were 30-40 in about 10 seconds burst and it does it 3 times before ejecting the disk.

If anyone can shed any light on wether any of the hardware I've purchased is wrong for my macbook, or what the heck my CD drive is doing or how to run some tests on it to find out, any help would be appreciated... like I said, its been a bad day xD

OP
M
Reaction score
I should also mention that I think the hard drive is probably fine and would have worked ok if I was able to boot from the CD and format it etc.. I havn't actually put any CD's in for a while so it could have had a problem for a while and I've just not known. I thought best to post this separate in case anyone had read the 1st part already and missed it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.