• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac update logs

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to see past downloads(mostly updates) when and how big they where?

Reaction score
Look in Library>Receipts>InstallHistory.plist

Just don't mess around too much in there.

OP
V
Reaction score
thx for your reply. Im new to mac and not reaaly sure how things work on it since im a windows user.

Can you perhaps tell me where i get the library?

Sorry if this question seems stupid.

Reaction score
thx for your reply. Im new to mac and not reaaly sure how things work on it since im a windows user.

Can you perhaps tell me where i get the library?

Sorry if this question seems stupid.

Macintosh HD>Library>Receipts>InstallHistory.plist

Doesn't sound stupid to me since you have a legitimate reason hahaha. ;D

Just don't edit the file.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thx for your quick reply, Chris.

I looked in that directory but cant find the "Receipts" folder. Does that mean that i havent done any updates yet? Do you perhaps know of any other things that can take alot of my data?

I received a bill of 2000 each month for the last 2 months and i always make sure that im within my data package. So im looking as to something that could use alot of my data or do u think it could be a virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So im looking as to something that could use alot of my data or do u think it could be a virus?

First there is no viruses for Mac's...
Second if you use Safari, goto the top bar and Ctrl~click on it. It will then bring up Customise Toobar. When the drop down comes up look for this
20110109-ey7j5b5ipfw4h1wu2ndtm6e8ib.jpg
icon and drag it into your top bar in Safari. I have mine sitting to the right of my Google Search bar.
Click done. Then click on the Arrow icon and it will bring up a list of the last 20 downloads for oyu. then check to see what has been downloaded ...

OR just go to the downloads folder and have a look there as well.....

Hope This helps

Cheers

OP
V
Reaction score
Thx i checked it out and it only lists 16 downloads of witch only 2 in above a MB the biggest being 5.2MB.

i also heard there where very few if any viruses for Mac. Is it more possible that my ISP is trying to milk me or that my data card might have been hacked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
On the viruses to ease your mind read The Official Antivirus, Malware, Firewall Sticky.

Im not sure your ISP would be milking your data card. It could be possible you have a leecher on your network. What security do you have set up ?? WEP, WPA, WPA2 . . . .
Ive recently think someone was on mine as i had WEP set up on my network so i could access my old G3 Mac. It will only accept WEP and that can be hacked by a 10 yr old . . .

It could also be updates ?? You dont say what OS you are running but i think the 10.6.4 to 10.6.5 for my was near on 1gb of download. This wont come up in the dowloads window. Either will any software/App updates . . . If you have your Apps to check updates automatically this could be a reason as well ... Just a few things to think about :)

Cheers

OP
V
Reaction score
Its MacBook pro 5
OS 10.6

Updates where set to check and update automatically.

The connection tipe is a 3G modem and not Wifi. Sorry for not specifying earlier.

Thx i think it might then be the updates. Just hope it does the trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx i think it might then be the updates. Just hope it does the trick.

Just keep a eye on it. If you are worried, download Surplus Meter to keep a eye out on your network activity.
I have this set up and even when it isnt actively open it will still do the job.... I have 100Gb/mnth and it keeps good record to within a few hundred MB

Cheers

OP
V
Reaction score
Thx. my 3G only has a 600 MB cap so its really only used for surfing, mail and skype.

YThx for all the help,

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.