• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OSX For All x86 Users - Security already cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
schweb said:
And where have you heard this from? I'd like to see the details...

I think it's all relative. For example, I am sure that a 3.6ghz x86 system runs Tiger a whole lot faster than any G4 PPC. However, how well a dual G5 PPC system stands up to a dual core Pentium is anyone's guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
It has come to my attention that some people have been given negative rep points in this thread (myself included). No matter what side you are on, I think that is ridiculous. Disagreements should be handled here, in a polite, public manner.

I will say that since I have been at mac-forums, I have received 3 negative rep points. They don't really bother me, I have enough positive ones, that it doesn't really hurt. I don't say that to sound pompous or arrogant, but that is a matter of fact. All three of those negative rep points, were given in topics in which some other person had a disagreement with me (obviously). After the point was given, it was very rare for any agreement to be made, or any mutual understanding to be reached. It was given because the other person felt the need to "lash out." If you want to argue your point with me, I'll be glad to hear it, and I'll give it due process. But, don't attack me if I still don't agree with you.

Schweb and other Mods, it appears like this thread has run it's course. You might want to take action.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
timswim78 said:
I think it's all relative. For example, I am sure that a 3.6ghz x86 system runs Tiger a whole lot faster than any G4 PPC. However, how well a dual G5 PPC system stands up to a dual core Pentium is anyone's guess.
I guess where I'm confused is by his terminology then. He says OS X will run better on a pc than a Mac. Does he mean Intel Mac or PPC Mac? I'm assuming since this thread is about OS X for Intel he must be referring to OS X running better on a generic PC than an Intel Mac.

If that's not the case, then I have no idea why we're even discussing this here since this thread is about running OS X on a generic PC. ;)

Let me also clarify some things about reputation points. There is nothing necessarily wrong with giving someone negative reputation points because you disagree with them. That's part of the system. If you think they're wrong, vote negative. There's nothing vindictive about that. Vindictive would be giving you 5 or 6 negatives in one thread for example. Positive votes are for when you think people give good advice, correct information, or just provide a positive forum experience. Negative votes are for rude posts, unhelpfulness, or times when you think someone is giving wrong information.

Now, to put a little more perspective on it. I wouldn't vote a negative until after a thread has run its course and you've tried to reason and the person is still not anywhere near agreeing with what you think is right. If you receive a negative vote, don't take it personally, everyone will get one. But if you're truly helpful then it won't matter in the end since you'll receive many more positives.

This of course has already been debated and I would strongly suggest for everyone to read through the User Reputation System thread for a little more clarification.

As for this thread, I am going to lock it. It certainly has run its course and is really just becoming a flame bait thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.