Arrange Lists in File by date

Reaction score
I have OS 10.5.8 operating on a six year old G5. (non intel). I would like to order the lists on some of my files by date created or date modified. This option is available if I use Icons but is not available when I select to view by list. As I recall, my old G3 with OS9 used to be capable of doing this. Is there a way that I can do this with my current configuration? I have been told that an intel system operating with OS 10.6.6 is capable of doing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Is this what you mean ?? I did this in Applications and then did the cmd~J and it bought up the box you see in the image on the left. I then clicked Date Created and then went to the top and clicked the Date Created tab on the main window. Then as you can see all the Applications are now arranged as they where created/Modified See Image

20110109-8sb8qiscs8q58kksnghxqif7hn.jpg

OP
E
Reaction score
Arrange by Date

Thank you. I did as you suggested and note that my folder is arranged by date with the latest at the top except as I noted in your example (applications window) 2010 is located below 2009. That is, there is a disconnect there at the year to year transition. I would prefer that the last item be at the bottom and the earliest at the top throughout over multiple years. Do you have any way to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Just click on the the Modified/Created bar a 2nd time and it should re arrange them to earliest to latest .. . .

OP
E
Reaction score
Arrange by date

I take it back. I found that merely clicking on the date created or the date modified at the top of the page arranged by date with no discontinuity at the year transition as I observed on the prior post example. I would still like to arrange from earliest to latest rather than latest to earliest.

Reaction score
Organizing from oldest to newest followup

Hey edlo, I was wondering if you ever found a solution to organizing content from oldest to newest? Please let me know if you did. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
See the image in post #2...

There's a little triangle in the highlighted heading. Click that heading again, and the triangle flips over, and the order the files are sorted in reverses.

Reaction score
Thanks toMACsh, that definitely achieves reversing the "date created" order but only in the "list view." I was really hoping to do the same thing but for the "icon view."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Start reading from the bottom, right to left. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.