Ipad Printing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.9Ghz i5 8GB RAM/Iphone 5/Ipad 1
I just got the WIFI iPad and am wondering about printing. From what I understand w/ Airprint you can print off certain apps including Safari. However I have an HP Photosmart bluetooth printer and I have printer sharing turned on in the preferences. HOwever the Ipad still can't find it. Does this printer work for Ipad printing??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
What model printer is it? There are only specific printers that work at this time.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
There are other options, but Printopia works very well. The only caveat is it has to be installed an a running Mac for your iPad to see the shared network printers.
I have it running on a Mac Mini that I use as a Home Theater setup and hence is always on. I highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just got the WIFI iPad and am wondering about printing. From what I understand w/ Airprint you can print off certain apps including Safari. However I have an HP Photosmart bluetooth printer and I have printer sharing turned on in the preferences. HOwever the Ipad still can't find it. Does this printer work for Ipad printing??

As mentioned, Airprint is currently only enabled for a very limited number of printers. Mine wasn't one of those, so I grabbed an app called AirPrintActivator that hacks the service to work with more printers. Worked like a charm for me. :)

OP
huff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.9Ghz i5 8GB RAM/Iphone 5/Ipad 1
As mentioned, Airprint is currently only enabled for a very limited number of printers. Mine wasn't one of those, so I grabbed an app called AirPrintActivator that hacks the service to work with more printers. Worked like a charm for me. :)

Ahhhh interesting. Mine is the HP Photosmart C5580. I don't see it on the lists of printers, so I'm doubting it's one of them. I wasn't sure if you still had to be on that list or if you could just WIFI share your printer, but apparently you need both. OK thanks folks. I'll try this AirPrintActivator. Is this a legit app store app or just a jailbroken thing??

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhhh interesting. Mine is the HP Photosmart C5580. I don't see it on the lists of printers, so I'm doubting it's one of them. I wasn't sure if you still had to be on that list or if you could just WIFI share your printer, but apparently you need both. OK thanks folks. I'll try this AirPrintActivator. Is this a legit app store app or just a jailbroken thing??

It's an app for your Mac, not your iPad. It modifies some files on the Mac, and does nothing to the iPad. It's a hack to make AirPrint work with more printers and as such it's unsupported, so use at your own caution, etc etc blah blah.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's an app for your Mac, not your iPad. It modifies some files on the Mac, and does nothing to the iPad. It's a hack to make AirPrint work with more printers and as such it's unsupported, so use at your own caution, etc etc blah blah.

I read about this APP in a TUAW post but I had already bought and downloaded Printopia (~$10 I think), so I didn't try it. Does it require the Mac to be running (like Printopia) to work? I assume it does, because I believe I remember it worked through printer sharing off the host Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read about this APP in a TUAW post but I had already bought and downloaded Printopia (~$10 I think), so I didn't try it. Does it require the Mac to be running (like Printopia) to work? I assume it does, because I believe I remember it worked through printer sharing off the host Mac.

Yes, it does. There's no extra app or service working in the background though. It just makes some modifications to make AirPlay work with existing printers, restoring how it worked in the beta testing from what I recall. I don't know enough about how AirPlay normally works, but if existing compatible printers do work without the Mac being on, then the printers must have some hardware/software features to allow for that, bypassing the Mac entirely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
i dont want to derail the discussion but do all printer apps for the ipad require a host pc to print?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont want to derail the discussion but do all printer apps for the ipad require a host pc to print?
The printer Apps I have looked at say they can print directly to most wifi printers (haven't tried them so I can't comment on how good a job they do). For non wifi printers they use (at least the ones I have seen) your Mac or PC as host.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive
Airprint only works with ePrint HP machines. However, for mac users Printopia works great. Saves getting a new printer for only 9.99.

Reaction score
Printers and such

First, let me apologize if I am in the wrong area. I am not just new here, but I am also new with this iPad. So, kindly bear with me.

I am a disabled Vietnam vet (yeah, an old guy), and have always used a windows computer. Since my computer broke, and I can't afford a new one yet, my daughter gave me this iPad to be able to keep up with emails and such. She also gave me a Kodak ESP5250 wireless printer that says it is compatible with the iPad. Works great, but I can only print photo's. I can't print any emails or documents wirelessly.

Seems the only way to print, is to have the printer hooked to a computer, but that seems to defeat the purpose of printing from the iPad, or so I think.

I tried many of the free apps, and none of them work. I also purchased PrintCentral, but the only way I can print documents is to have the printer hooked to a computer.

Does anyone know if it is, or will be possible to print wirelessly to the Kodak ESP 5250 printer?

Again, I apologize if I did something wrong here... And thanks for any help you may tend to give me.

Pauley

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, I have read that AirPrint (iPad's wireless printing feature) will be expanded to other printers in the future. But no time frame yet. So, depends.

If your printer will print photos from your iPad, try saving your docs or emails as image files if you need to print them.

Reaction score
Printers and such

Well, I have read that AirPrint (iPad's wireless printing feature) will be expanded to other printers in the future. But no time frame yet. So, depends.

If your printer will print photos from your iPad, try saving your docs or emails as image files if you need to print them.

I'd there an app that can do that?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No apologies neccessary and welcome to the forum.

I did a quick look for you and this printer doesn't appear on any list of Airprint compatibles printers that I have seen. Your ability to print photos appears to result from a custom APP developed by Kodak for your printer.

You don't have to have your printer connected to a PC (or Mac) but to use one of the Mac applications discussed in this thread you will have to use the printer sharing capability of your Mac (which means you need to install the software and have the Mac on to print).
Hope this helps.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd there an app that can do that?

You can take a screenshot by pressing the home button and off/sleep button at the same time (don't know how good the resoloution will be).

Reaction score
You can take a screenshot by pressing the home button and off/sleep button at the same time (don't know how good the resoloution will be).

Hmmmmm, didn't know I could do that. I'll give it a try....
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, didn't know I could do that. I'll give it a try....
Thank you!

I tried what you suggested, and it did work. However, on the paper that is printed is like a 4x6 photo. It doesn't print the whole width of the paper.

Razormac, that you so much for the welcome.

If I could figure a way to take a snap shot of what I am typing, like mimacrox suggested (thanks so much for that tip!) it would be great.

Again, thanks for any help...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been looking for a way to directly convert document files to jpeg on the iPad and so far luck. On the Mac it would be easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.