iPhoto - How to move photos to a new external hard drive

Reaction score
I have photos on an external hard drive that I imported into iPhoto and organized. I did not physically move the photos, but instead have iPhoto link to that location on the external hard drive to open the pictures.

I have now purchased a larger external hard drive and am moving those to the new drive and will not use the older, smaller drive.

When I moved the pictures I put them in the same folder structure, etc. But now iPhoto still wants to go to the old location. Is there a way to easily point iPhoto to the new location?

C

chas_m

1. Launch iPhoto with the option key held down.
2. In the resulting dialog, point iPhoto to the new location.
3. Done.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That's easy!
I knew you could do this with an iPhoto library where the photos had been imported into it. But, since the OP's photos reside outside the library I thought doing something like that would result in the creation of a new library losing whatever work had gone into organizing it.

I will remember that in future if I ever use a set up like this (which I have thought about doing) with actual photos in folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.