What does the number at the bottom of the "Finder" menu mean?

Reaction score
I've heard that it is the available disk space left on my computer, but when I highlight a different program the number will sometimes decrease to a number that surely isn't the full amount of disk space left!

Extreme n00b here; thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
At the bottom of my finder it says:
14 items, 904.56 GB available.

It means that there are 14 items in the current directory that is highlighted on the left hand side. In my case it was my Home Folder with my name on it.
The other number if how many Giga Bytes are left on the Hard Disk.
In my finder the amount of space left remains the same when I highlight other folders.

What are you highlighting that makes it change?

DavidH

C

chas_m

First I want to find out what CincyDrummer means by "Finder menu," since the actual "Finder menu" (ie the Application menu when Finder is active) doesn't show any numbers at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Cincy, a few basic terms might help clear this up. The menu usually refers to the menu bar that runs along the top of your screen. The Finder itself is the window that opens when you click on the Finder icon in the Dock. The Dock is the strip of application shortcuts usually at the bottom of your screen.

Now what numbers are showing where, and what exactly does it say?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, Finder is an application. You see windows that hold your stuff when you open folders on a volume, such as your hard drive. Those are Finder Windows. ...as long as we're using terminology correctly. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.