25 year PC Geek - Hope to Soon Be Mac Geek

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Hey all I a new to Mac after quite a long stent with PC's. I must admit I like the Mac better. I am enjoying the Challenge of learning how to use what is available. I thought that I would be installing VirtualBox to run several windows apps but I was wrong.

The one I am searching for is a replacement for "Paint shop pro", but have learned to use i photo for adjusting pics.

I have just had it with the quality of what is available on the PC side, Just tired of building my own, so I jumped into Mac land.

This site has been wonderful in answering a few questions I have had.

I have a leg up on most of the switchers in that I am familiar with Unix being that I maintain an AIX box at work, so I know a little about the Terminal side.

Thank you for listening to my Ramblings :D

Just wanted to Introduce Myself when I pop in and out of conversations.

Reaction score
Hi Ramimac

Welcom to the world of Mac.

Some further suggestions for replacing Paint Shop Pro:

Aperture ($80 on the App Store)
Pixelmator ($29 if I'm not mistaken)

These are great tools for working with photos.

Reaction score
I'd also suggest iPhoto (free with the purchase of a Mac [I think]) if your photo manipulations are relatively simple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-F Ramimac1

On the App you are looking for, another one to consider and its not far off Photoshop is GIMP....
And best of all its Free and Open Source ....

If you need anything else answered, be sure to drop in and ask. Remember there is never a silly question, only silly answers ;)

Cheers

OP
Ramimac1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I know photoshop is heaps more but its a wonderful program (a bit gigantic though). Maybe you dont need its fullness. I like the interface that adobe has and this way the program doesnt differ too much between windows and mac os so when you are switching between worlds, there is a constant).

i've played with Windows 7 and that OS seems so much more then mac os 10.5 or 10.6. I used to be a long time user of XP and ME but for compatibility issues and ease of creating and editing content (I work in a peer group that tends to only buy apple products), mac was a better choice but I'm still a fan of Windows and find the OS to be better (Vista was just a big speed bump that has to be over looked). My first thoughts when I read the topic title, why leave. But it sounds like you were a fan of apple for a while.

Actually I have not been a fan of apple for a while. It is strange, I started investigating about 6 months ago and playing with macs at a few peoples houses that I was setting up networks for and started to enjoy the interface.

I believe it is more intuitive.

Have used every os starting with Dos 2.13 to windows 7, Windows 7 is much better then Vista but I still think there is to much of Microsoft to lock it down to be usable. It has been more of a hardware build quality that has let me down more than the software.

In the past month I have really felt I think OS X is better. My favorite toy with the mac is the Magic Pad. I love the gestures.

OP
Ramimac1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
If you need anything else answered, be sure to drop in and ask. Remember there is never a silly question, only silly answers ;)

Cheers

Thanks. an I am sure I will have questions.

You know my favorite saying has always been. The only dumb question is the one not asked. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I would also recommend Pixelmator if you are looking for something similar to Photoshop or PSP. It is a very good program, and a lot cheaper. Of course Gimp is a fine program as well, and is cheaper than any of them (as in free).

I was also a long time PC user, and used everything from CP/M, DOS, Linux and all the flavors of Windows. I know exactly what you mean about the Mac OS being just simpler and more elegant to use. I switched in Feb. 2010 and it has been nothing but a pleasure. Welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of Mac. Enjoy.

OP
Ramimac1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I had the pleasure of my bets friends dad working for IBM and we were able to work with the First Home PC "IBM PC" with the CGA monitor and 64k Ram :)

That started my long tradition of taking machines I could afford and modifying them to use Hard drives and such No dual 360k floppies for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.