Uploading Raw NOT into iPhoto

Reaction score
Sorry, very new to this - I want to upload my RAW photos onto my computer (fairly new - iMac running OS10.6.6) BUt I don't want it to automatically download them into iPhoto, I want to put them into Canon Digital Raw Processor - how do I stop iPhoto automatically capturing them?

I know it's probably really easy but after spending 20+years persuading hubby to convert from a PC (I was brought up on Macs) - I've gotten a bit rusty!

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
Sorry, very new to this - I want to upload my RAW photos onto my computer (fairly new - iMac running OS10.6.6) BUt I don't want it to automatically download them into iPhoto, I want to put them into Canon Digital Raw Processor - how do I stop iPhoto automatically capturing them?

I know it's probably really easy but after spending 20+years persuading hubby to convert from a PC (I was brought up on Macs) - I've gotten a bit rusty!

Many thanks!

Hi Spid: Check iPhoto Preferences and make sure it is not set to import photos automatically when you connect camera or memory card.

Buy yourself a card-reader, upload to wherever you like on your iMac - desktop or create a folder on your hdd. When done you can open them in your editing tool - doesn't go anywhere near iPhoto.

OP
S
Reaction score
Many thanks - now done that - just ended up being stupid and accidentally deleting all the images off the card1!! So now buying undelete software! Doh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27" 2017, macOS 11.3.1 Big Sur, iPhone 7Plus, iPad Pro, Apple tv4, iPodT6
Many thanks - now done that - just ended up being stupid and accidentally deleting all the images off the card1!! So now buying undelete software! Doh!

We've all done it Spid. Make sure you don't reformat the card before you run the recovery software.

Depending on the make of your memory card, some allow you to download a free recovery tool from their website.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Alternatively if you have Image Capture, open it up while your device or card is plugged in and at the bottom left you can set it to either open Image Capture whenever you plug this particular one in OR any other program of your choice.

C

chas_m

Additionally, Image Capture can be used to set DIFFERENT behaviours for different cameras. I find this TRULY AWESOME.

For example, my point-and-shoot is set to automatically open iPhoto, since that's where I want those pictures to go.

My Canon RAW camera, however, is set to open only Image Capture (or I could have chosen Canon's software, or some other program) so I can pick which images I want to import and just put them in a folder. I don't manage my RAW files in iPhoto because when I'm shooting RAW it's more like a model or pro shoot and I'd want to use a different program for organizing that (I use ACDSee Pro for Mac but others choose Lightroom or Aperture).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.