Security on a MacBook

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have a MacBook Pro, that I use home and at work. I love it:D

But, how can I protect it at work? I k now about the password for opening my profile and so, but, when it is open, I do not like coworkers to have access to mail , finder and so one. How can I have my mac open, but at the same time lock some applications with a password?

Hope some can help.

Have a good weekend all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Why don't you just logout whenever you are not going to be at your computer?

- Simon

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If it's open, you should be sitting at it. If you're not sitting at it, put it to sleep or start a screensaver and require a password.

If you're going to allow others to use it, then create separate accounts for them to use (or have them use the guest account). I can only advise that you do not allow anyone else to use it while logged in to your (or any other admin) account.

Personal info is personal - doesn't have to be earth shattering or anything - I don't even allow my wife to use any of my computers from my log in. If she wants to see something on one of them, she does it with me at the keyboard and can go anywhere she likes. But she's not getting access to mess it up like she does her computers while I'm not sitting there.

Other people do things on computers and don't have a clue what it was they did. Don't give them that opportunity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I completely agree with Bob, if you can't trust the people around you, don't let them have any access.

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.