Excel and InDesign won't launch on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I've been using Office 2008 for Mac with no problems until today. Tried to open an Excel file and immediately get the message "Not enough memory." I don't understand this message, of course. It's a small file and I have 120GB on the hard drive of my 3-month-old MacBook Pro, and 8GB of RAM. I did just upgrade the RAM from 4 to 8 about a week ago, but the system profile reports OK for both DIMMs. Also found that Adobe InDesign crashed on opening. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its not that you haven't got enough memory, its that Excel somehow is running out.

Try a restart first to see if that fixes the issue

OP
K
Reaction score
Excel won't open files-"Not enough memory"

Thanks, but it wasn't that. I quit and reopened, shut down and restarted, removed and reseated the RAM, and removed and reinstalled Office 2008. No Excel files will open -- and this also seems to affect InDesign -- it crashes before it fully opens. I'm suspecting a problem with the new RAM. Sound reasonable? I bought it from RAMJet. I assume they'll replace defective RAM. I'll check with them today.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.