• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Microsoft clones Apple Magic Mouse and it only took them 20 months!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

110106_multitouch_mice.jpg

Yesterday Microsoft announced their new Touch Mouse which will be available - not immediately, of course, - in June 2011 for the estimated retail price of $79.95

A nice comment.
Okay guys, cool down. This is not a rip-off of the Magic Mouse. There are very substantial differences:

1. It is black.
2. The sides are bowed.
3. It uses up a USB port.
4. There is no Apple logo.
Yes that's right. The MS mouse is not direct bluetooth. You need a little wireless USB stick in your computers USB slot for the MS mouse to communicate with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Brilliant!

In 2002 was using that but it was called a D-Link USB Dongle for wireless mouse and keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
That's just another one of M$FT's sad jokes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
They are just begging to get sued. Thats when you know a company has to much money when they stop caring about patents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
At the 2011 International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Microsoft Corp. unveiled the Touch Mouse, a new multitouch device designed for Windows 7 that lets people click, flick, scroll and swipe, making it easy and fun to interact with their PCs.

And if this is new *shakes head* They are making it sound as if this is the 1st such device to do things like this LOL

And then this .... Who are they trying to fool ???

For more than 28 years, the Hardware Group has employed innovative engineering, cutting-edge industrial design and extensive usability testing to create products of exceptional quality and durability that enhance the software experience and strengthen the connection between consumers and their PC.

How can it be innovative engineering when it follows the same route as the Magic Mouse ??? Notice i didnt say they copied Apple but Dang its bloody well close to it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
Will the Magic Mouse work on a Windows PC? If not, I will seriously consider buying the "new" MS touch mouse for my office PC when MS releases it.

Reaction score
Well, it can only be good for Apple as it may inspire them to upgrade their Magic Mouse. I am still waiting for native pitch and zoom support.

The Magic Mouse still looks better than the new Microsoft one though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
They are just begging to get sued. Thats when you know a company has to much money when they stop caring about patents.

Doubtful, it's not Bluetooth, so not a direct copy, and besides, as Harry said, it's been done to a great extent anyway.
Hopeless they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Will the Magic Mouse work on a Windows PC? If not, I will seriously consider buying the "new" MS touch mouse for my office PC when MS releases it.

I haven't tried it, but I would imagine that it would work so long as the Windows PC supported bluetooth.

~~This is just funny. When Apple comes out with something like this first, the haters resort to name calling and say that the product is "trendy." When MS rips this idea off, and claims it as their own---nobody seems to care??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

In short no. Magic Mouse requires Mac computer and OS X.5.8 or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
I hate to admit it, but MS makes SUPERB keyboards and mice (about the only thing they do right!). From the images on Amazon, it already looks more ergonomic than Apple's Might Mouse - which is an ergonomic train wreck. If it tracks smoothly and accurately, I'm going to pray they make an OS X driver for it so I can switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Apple's Might Mouse - which is an ergonomic train wreck.

This i agree with whole heartedly . . . . For me personally anyway. I have big man hands and i have trouble gripping it then trying to use the touch/swipe methods just dont cut it for me. I found my hand cramped, trying to hold it in a way i could use the features on it. Reason i havnt purchased one yet .....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
...i have trouble gripping it then trying to use the touch/swipe methods just dont cut it for me. I found my hand cramped, trying to hold it in a way i could use the features on it.
Well, yeah. You're not supposed to grip it at the same time that you're swiping on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
I hate to admit it, but MS makes SUPERB keyboards and mice

truth to this.. my emachine keyboard (from like 2004) is still the keyboard I use today, and its been through a lot and the only damage is a bit of wear on the WASD keys due to gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, yeah. You're not supposed to grip it at the same time that you're swiping on it.

I understand that, as i was trying to make the point it isnt for me. It doesnt feel right in my hand.
Its not a biggie and if i get myself a iMac/Mac Mini in the future where im always at a desk, ill give it another go. But as it stands the ergonomic feel to it isnt for me . . . .

I find the height of it the problem for me ........

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have no issues with the Magic mouse at all. It's just right for me. I really hate those MS mice with all the little dimples and caveats in them. But I do have rather small hands. Maybe it would be different for someone with large hands.

I hold the mouse the same time I swipe with it all the time. I told the mouse with my thumb and ring finger one on each side. And that leaves the index and middle finger to swipe on the top of the mouse. It's pretty easy if you practice it a bit. Took me a few days to perfect it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I understand that, as i was trying to make the point it isnt for me. It doesnt feel right in my hand.
Its not a biggie and if i get myself a iMac/Mac Mini in the future where im always at a desk, ill give it another go. But as it stands the ergonomic feel to it isnt for me . . . .

I find the height of it the problem for me ........

Go and try a Magic Trackpad out. Seriously, I tried both the mouse and the trackpad, and like you can't get on with the mouse. The trackpad is a whole different ball game. I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go and try a Magic Trackpad out. Seriously, I tried both the mouse and the trackpad, and like you can't get on with the mouse. The trackpad is a whole different ball game. I love it.

Yea will have to look at one of them. Havnt had the chance yet to gtet my hands on one. Have read only good reviews. Its one of the products there doesnt seem to be a world of blogs hammering it....... Looks sext too.

BC im having troubles with my old G3, WEP and my network ill be looking at a Mac Mini to set up as my Media Centre and can get on Refurb for $610 so couple week solid work and ill have a new addition to the family . . . . Going this way as when i hook my MBP to my 46" LCD it is seriously a great picture ..... GO AWAY RAIN lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.