• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple’s App Store Takes Adobe to the Woodshed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
The article has one or two plausible inclusions, but for the most part it's mostly a very biased attack and for the wrong reasons. What's right about it, is that Apple is once again going to set a standard. This standard of course has nothing to do with how good Aperture is, but how it and apps like it will be sold. The future of boxed sold software shall go the way of the dodo bird.

Not to say Aperture isn't good, but this isn't the point. A couple of comments made almost mirror what I was thinking, so I'll save time and quote them:

This will hit Lightroom on the Mac, but it has no huge relevance for Lightroom overall. Lightroom has been kicking Aperture's a** on the Mac, and a lot of the serious photogs have already made their choice. Of course, it will have no impact on Windows. The main effect will be to broaden the market for high-end photo management on Mac. Lightroom's not ging anywhere. PS- I'm an Aperture user since the beginning.
This breathless and specious article is a disappointment. As JoeP just pointed out, this price cut is almost completely meaningless. Lightroom is the better choice for many reasons, and price is not one of them. Pro photographers are not Best Buy customers who buy the shiniest toy for the lowest price, they do crazy things like run software trials for weeks before dropping the cash. Everyone who is anyone has already done just that, and the vast majority went with Lightroom or Camera Raw. For this reason alone the effect on Adobe will be negligible.
So really the point here is that while professional photographers do use Aperture, they also use LR, and price alone will never dictate the reason why one would be chosen over the other. There is no such thing as compromise where personal preference in terms of quality is concerned.

What was said about trial doing trial runs is a big deal. I did Aperture and LR trials and initially chose LR over Aperture back in the v 1.0 days because Aperture was insanely slow and resource heavy. Beach ball bananza. Version 2, same story, and I thought that LR had much better tools for editing jobs. Version 3, Aperture improved tons with its tools and brushes, but still had massive bugs that slowed down output time. Was another no for me. And when LR 3 hit, with its much improved sharpening algorithms and noise reduction.. I didn't care much about any improvements A3 would be making.. not beside idle curiosity, anyway.

I'm not alone in my feelings and experience with this, and would bet anything that most normal people don't care about brand name when it comes to getting the job done in the most efficient and pleasing way possible. And yes, that goes both ways of course. Should I find that Aperture is finally caught up to the standards that I hold to Lightroom in the ways that I find it to be better, then heck yeah... I'll go with Aperture for less than half the price.

However, most professionals don't have the time to spend learning a new piece of software like that, when they've already dedicated years honing their skills with something else.

On the other hand, this spells great news for lots of other people. New photographers, people on a budget, those looking to upgrade from iPhoto etc etc... Aperture would make a great choice for anybody, but mostly for anybody whom really spent the time making an informed decision about whether or not it's truly better for them than something like LR is, and not just because it's cheaper or doesn't bear the Adobe trademark. And I'm saying that knowing that a LOT of people do choose Apple products for simply that reason alone.

Doug

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For the serious photographers they will always choose what best suits them. No matter what the cost. But for everyone else where either app will do the job, price and the delivery method might just sway someone into one app over the other.

And better or worse does not really matter for 95% of the people. It's more a case of what will get the job done. And for 95% of people either app gets the job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
For the serious photographers they will always choose what best suits them. No matter what the cost. But for everyone else where either app will do the job, price and the delivery method might just sway someone into one app over the other.

And better or worse does not really matter for 95% of the people. It's more a case of what will get the job done. And for 95% of people either app gets the job done.

You more or less repeated what I just said, but the abridged version ;) One thing you're kind of wrong about though... The target market these apps are designed for does not equate to 95% of the "Average Joe" population. Neither Aperture or LR were meant to appeal to the point and shoot iPhoto crowd. Therefore, those whom are interested in them, will take the time to make sure that the program they choose does more than just "get the job done".

I can very easily just "get the job done" with either A3 or LR3, but there's a very big and distinct difference to me (specifically my eyes) in the presentation of the final product, as well as little nuances which get me there along the way. As individuals, we each work and think a little bit differently, and we group with those whom think more closely to our own way of thinking, so of course we can extrapolate from this that LR, A3, View NX (Nikon software) etc... will each have their champions for slightly different reasons. But in the professional world, it will never be for the simple reason that "it gets the job done"

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
For pro users, the relatively small cost difference isn't going to be enough to switch if they're using LightRoom.

HOWEVER, one has to consider new users. New users who start on a Mac will most likely stick with the Mac. And if they start with Aperture because it's cheaper and easier, they're likely to stick with it when and if they go pro in that area.

Not to mention that prosumers looking for a little more than iPhoto offers have a no-brainer now - Aperture is going to leave LightRoom in the dust in that market - at least on the Mac.

C

chas_m

With respect, 8thark, "Three Guys and a Podcast" isn't a reputable source for ... well, anything. At my kindest I would describe their show as "filled with speculation and based on groupthink opinion."

Nothing wrong with that -- but to cite them as some kind of "authority" or anything they say as "reliable" is stretching it a bit IMHO.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
With respect, 8thark, "Three Guys and a Podcast" isn't a reputable source for ... well, anything. At my kindest I would describe their show as "filled with speculation and based on groupthink opinion."

I know. But this is Apple news and rumours. And to be honest rumours from the WSJ or from 3 guys and a podcast both carry the same weight. All pure speculation. Cause Apple does not pre-relase any product news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For pro users, the relatively small cost difference isn't going to be enough to switch if they're using LightRoom.

HOWEVER, one has to consider new users. New users who start on a Mac will most likely stick with the Mac. And if they start with Aperture because it's cheaper and easier, they're likely to stick with it when and if they go pro in that area.

Not to mention that prosumers looking for a little more than iPhoto offers have a no-brainer now - Aperture is going to leave LightRoom in the dust in that market - at least on the Mac.

1. Your logic has one ( or two) fatal flaw(s) to it. A new user to the Mac may not necessarily mean said user is a new photographer.

2. One who indulges in the art of photography and sticks with it usually knows that it will not be a cheap endeavor. So while you're that starting with Aperture will mean that it would be cheaper, there's no argument to support that it would in any way be easier. Why would it be, because it's made by Apple? Aperture doesn't fit into things the way something like iTunes does. It's totally independent of the Apple circle of life for the time being.

And it isn't easier in general, vs. Lightroom because that comparison remains wholly subjective.

The ONLY argument to support Aperture being more successful than LR other than personal preference, would be blind devotion and bias (in favor) of a brand name, which in that case I personally believe would make that person less of a professional than someone whom decided to actually go into the trial runs of each program and purchase the better of the two based on end results with price not being a factor.

Because I think you'll find that (again) a professional knows that time is money and that which gets the job done better and faster (applies to either program) wins. Money does not factor in UNTIL the decision to purchase Aperture is made. It's supplemental.

Doug

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A new user to the Mac may not necessarily mean said user is a new photographer.
But someone who knows how to take a photo might know nothing about edit photos on the computer. I have a few friends who take awesome photos but never once had them edited at all. And have no idea how to do so. So taking photos and editing photos on computer are 2 different but related things.

2. One who indulges in the art of photography and sticks with it usually knows that it will not be a cheap endeavor.
See point one. The photographer might have no idea what is better if they are new to photo editing on computer. And the price might sway them.

And it isn't easier in general, vs. Lightroom because that comparison remains wholly subjective.
I agree 100%. It is totally subjective. One person will like one and another will like the other. And neither are right or wrong. It's just the one they prefer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But someone who knows how to take a photo might know nothing about edit photos on the computer. I have a few friends who take awesome photos but never once had them edited at all. And have no idea how to do so. So taking photos and editing photos on computer are 2 different but related things.

And that's exactly where iPhoto comes in. It was made specifically for such people, while LR and Aperture are marketed to a totally different demographic. Aperture is total overkill for your average, wanna be photographer with a new DSLR.

See point one. The photographer might have no idea what is better if they are new to photo editing on computer. And the price might sway them.
See my point. ;) If a "photographer" has no idea as to what is better because they are new to editing, there's a good chance that they're not ready to be in a position to use either LR or Aperture. One should research with diligence why one photo editing program is better than another, and not just take it at someone's word or go based on price.

Another point is that anyone whom has exhausted the possible editing capabilities of something like iPhoto, should have a better understanding of what they're looking for. Otherwise, I'm of the opinion that a lot of the people we're talking about would do just fine with iPhoto alone. Because once you get into editing RAW files and all that entails, you really have to scrutinize the program you're using to make sure that it's capable of meeting or exceeding your expectations.

And something tells me that this isn't the procedure taken by anyone whom is swayed more by the price of it, rather than what the end result of the project would be.

I think that my point is that in the end, a lot less of the people we're talking about are buying either LR OR Aperture, and the small percentage of people whom are ready to take the next step will [hopefully] do their research before settling on either one.

Doug

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They even got the price for Lightroom wrong. It retails at $299, not $199.
Aperture had been retailing for $199.
Even at Amazon, Lightroom is currently $249.

Just the fact that Aperture and Lightroom are compared side by side in the same breath by the Pros and the fact that you can find almost as many on the web that use Aperture as those that use Lightroom, at $80 vs $250-$300, this makes Aperture a no brainer for practically everyone using a Mac looking for their first pro photo app.

For the real pros out there, Doug's got it right, the price doesn't matter so much here. They're going to check out both apps and go with the one that fits in their own style, workflow and accomplishes the tasks they're looking for the best.

The amateurs ready to take the next step, Aperture has just blown away Lightroom at the price.
For those looking to make a living, well, they would be well advised to take a good hard look before they jump on either side.

At that price difference though, that will sway a good deal many professionals. I've seen it my whole career in my own business. Just one example - I walk on the job with a machine that applies paste to wallpaper that runs $3,000. The next guy is too cheap and goes for the $1,500 machine. He doesn't care that just the difference in machines allows me to make $30-$40 a day more money - every day - and pays for the difference in 80-100 days on a machine that will last 3-5 years minimum. Another, I buy a paint brush that costs $30, the next guy, says he's a pro and picks up the $5 one. Tells me he's no pro if he doesn't know the difference between them - but that makes no difference to the uneducated customer looking for the best price.

At the current price difference, I believe Adobe is going to have to either rethink their price point or find a way to market Lightroom to separate theIr app from the comparisons to Aperture.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And that's exactly where iPhoto comes in. It was made specifically for such people, while LR and Aperture are marketed to a totally different demographic. Aperture is total overkill for your average, wanna be photographer with a new DSLR.

And what demographic would that be?
I know it's not professional photographers. As they would have the latest version of Photoshop. And it's not for wanna be photographers as you say also. So for what demographic is it for?

I'd like your answer on this.

But I think Bob got it right. Amateurs ready to take the next step.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.