• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Convert mkv to mp4/dvd/avi with no changes to subs

Reaction score
With the least quality loss possible and no changes to subtitles?

So far, I've been using Mkvtools to convert my MKV's and it does it really good. But the problem is, is that it redoes all the subtitles into the specified font and all the subs and up down at the bottom of the screen. The result - whenever there is a translation of a sign, or subs that are meant to be on top, etc, it ends up as a huge block of text at the bottom. It is an eyesore and the stylized subs look so much better :/

Is there any to way to convert the mkv and hardsub the subtitles with no changes so that I can watch it on my TV? Right now, I'm trying to export via quicktime but it has already been 10 minutes and there has been no progress at all :(. The file I'm trying to convert is a H.264 720p Mkv that is 4.72 Gb big with SSA subs.

soz i'm a nub :D what's the difference between burning the subs and muxing it? Btw, Toast hangs when I drag an mkv onto it :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Handbrake.
You can convert from MKV to MP4 and tick the subs box to keep them as they are. You can choose the font it uses too.
You don't really burn subs as such, they are always muxed into the file, which is why they are removable.
You could in fact, demux the subs from your converted file and get a set of .srt subs to remux in. .srt are generally better in my experience.
Loads of places to get them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes they stay at the bottom where they should be. As for the size and colour it depends on the font used by the sub set you get.They are nearly always white though.
Some can be horrid, but most have a sample you can look at, or you can change it to one you like.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes they stay at the bottom where they should be.

eh...that's my problem. I don't want them all to be on the bottom. Like, there are animes where the subber will add notes on the top of the screen or translate a sign or something which they also put at the top of the screen, etc. If everything goes on the bottom, whenever subs that is supposed to be on the top appears in combination with the ones in the bottom, it makes a huge wall of text that covers half the screen :(

Here's an example:

B0zDk.png

Imagine something like this every 30 seconds - it ruins the whole experience :/ and when the subber doesn't put "Note:" or whatever at the beginning it becomes really hard to decipher whats dialogue and whats not, especially in real time :(

OP
M
Reaction score
Really? Nobody knows? Is it really impossible? Dx farrout mkv causes nothing but trouble... :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never tried doing subs the way you show, I always have them at the bottom.

Reaction score
Hi there,
Im searching for the same, did you found anything?
This would really help...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.