Screw Stuck in DVI Slot

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I was doing a hard drive replacement on my 2007 Macbook Pro 17 inch laptop and I accidentally put a screw in the dvi screw socket! Now I can't get it out! I have searched on the web and found out people have similar issues. Does anybody know how to get it out? I have tried shaking it out but to no avail. I went to the Apple store and the genius told me that I would have to do a motherboard replacement to get the screw out! Does anybody know what the name of the screw is so that when I go to Lowes I can get a replacement screw?
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Honestly, there are so many screws holding the MBP together, not having that one in the right spot shouldn't make a difference. If you're determined to find a replacement screw, however, just take one of the other 76 screws out and take it to the store to see if someone there can match it for you.

I doubt you'll find it at lowes since these tiny screws wouldn't be used for home improvement. You'll probably need to go to somewhere like radio shack or somewhere similar.

*EDIT: you mentioned trying to shake the screw out of the DVI hole. Are the threads of the screw not holding it in place? Have you tried a toothpick and a dab of superglue? I'm assuming you've stripped the screw trying to get it out.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Although there are a lot of screws, each screw holds the fan in place. By not having all of them in their correct spot, the fan sounds a lot louder as if it is not in place anymore. By pressing down on the spot where the screw is suppose to be, the fan gets a lot quieter. I am going to try the toothpick and superglue trick tonight. I shall tell you how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh...I didn't know that about the fan. I was thinking strictly about holding the bottom on. I upgraded my hard drive a few weeks ago and there were probably 20 screws total. It was crazy.

Good luck with it. If all else fails the nice folks at the Apple store might be able to help you. Upgrading a hard drive on your own does not void the warranty...but I guess your warranty would have expired by now anyway.

Reaction score
Lets see...

How about a magnetic screwdriver?
Maybe try a sharp knife point or razor blade to 'hook' under the head of the screw?
The superglue idea isn't bad, either.

Did the screw actually grab any threads in that hole, or is it just 'stuck' there?

I just re-read your post, and you say the screw is in the DVI slot? If that's the case, how about a pair of really fine-tipped needle nose pliers? That might get in there and grab it.

If you can live without attaching a DVI plug, then your easiest choice would be to leave the screw there, and get a replacement screw to secure the fan. For that, I'd suggest talking with a repair center to see if you could get a screw out of a dead machine.

As for the DVI, if the screw is actually in the slot, I'd do my best to remove it, as leaving it there could lead to a short circuit, which really could require a new logic board to fix...

That'd be my 2¢...

Good luck.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondering if this was ever resolved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.