Apple TV or Blu-Ray w/wireless

Reaction score
I'm looking for a vehicle to accomplish two things:

1) Stream netflix to my TV
2) Stream pictures/music from my MCP to my TV/Stereo

The Apple TV is obviously one option that I knows will allow me to do both. Given that I don't play on renting movies through Itunes, I've considered other ways to accomplish 1 + 2.

For about the same price, I've considered purchasing a blue ray DVD that is wireless ready. From what I understand, this will allow me to stream netflix and add the option for me to play blu-ray movies.

My questions:

1) Will a wireless ready blue ray allow me to stream my pictures (slideshow)/music from my MCP to my TV/Stereo?

2) Given my needs expressed above, any opinions from anyone regarding the Apple TV / Blu-Ray Wireless

Thanks again.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What is a MCP?

1. You'll need to check on the capabilities of the individual machine. Best way to do that is going to be heading for the manufacturers site of the B-R you want, download and read the owner's manual.

OP
C
Reaction score
Whoops...sorry, meant to say MBP. (trying to type way too fast)

I'm in the market for a Blu-Ray w/ wi-fi and am not married to any brand. From what I understand, some manufacturer's aren't Mac friendly.

Anyone have success in streaming netflix with a Mac through a wi-fi blu-ray? If so, have you tried steaming photos/music?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Significantly more expensive, but you can accomplish your goals with a Playstation 3.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The resoloution isn't outstanding but you can do both of those with a Wii.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I have found that movies I will only watch one time I rent on ATV and those which will get
many viewings I buy in Blu-Ray nothing beats the picture and sound quality on those.

Reaction score
ATV2 is $99.

You can watch Netflix, You can search your Mobile Me Albums, you can watch previews of movies, you can watch YouTube, etc and etc.

I do not think you can go wrong with the ATV2 and being $99 it is pretty cheap too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.