Can't manage old iWeb sites

Reaction score
Last Thanksgiving my old PowerMac Quadcore G5 literally died on me.
I replaced it with a Mac Mini which has been great so far. My problem is that although my old iWeb-created websites url's still work, I can't open them in my new iWeb program to maintain/update them. I tried opening them with my old iWeb program, but it automatically defaults to the current version.

I still have all of my old website's contents on my MobileMe iDisk account, but is there any way to transfer this to my new iWeb program, or will I have to start again with new urls (which is the main thing I want to avoid)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

C

chas_m

The version of the website iWeb posts to the web is translated HTML/CSS -- not a format that iWeb itself can "read in."

What you need is the domain.sites2 file that was stored on your old machine's Users/[yourhomefolder]/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder. Do you still have that old drive, or the backup you surely must have made of its contents?

If so, just copy that file and put it in the appropriate place on your new machine (WARNING: it will erase/overwrite any existing iWeb work you've done, so be careful!) and you'll be right back where you were.

PS. You don't clarify what you mean by "just died," but if the machine itself died there's no reason to suspect that the data on it isn't perfectly okay. If you failed to make a backup of your stuff from the old machine, you might want to look into retrieving the drive out of it and putting that into an external case in order to get at this file.

OP
G
Reaction score
The Apple Store told me all four of my processors were "fried" and would have to be replaced (costing almost as much as a new MacPro). I will try the methods you've suggested. Thank you for your assistance.....I had almost given up hope for getting a reply.

The version of the website iWeb posts to the web is translated HTML/CSS -- not a format that iWeb itself can "read in."

What you need is the domain.sites2 file that was stored on your old machine's Users/[yourhomefolder]/Library/Application Support/iWeb folder. Do you still have that old drive, or the backup you surely must have made of its contents?

If so, just copy that file and put it in the appropriate place on your new machine (WARNING: it will erase/overwrite any existing iWeb work you've done, so be careful!) and you'll be right back where you were.

PS. You don't clarify what you mean by "just died," but if the machine itself died there's no reason to suspect that the data on it isn't perfectly okay. If you failed to make a backup of your stuff from the old machine, you might want to look into retrieving the drive out of it and putting that into an external case in order to get at this file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.