VNC control a system that's connected to a VPN

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a Mac/PC question hoping you can help. I have a Dell on my router with an IP of 192.168.2.2. It connects to my company via Cisco VPN. Right now I'm using VNC to control the Dell from my PowerBook which works fine. However, when I connect to the VPN, the connection stops. I can't even ping the Dell at 192.168.2.2 anymore it says no system found and such. I'm hoping to connect to the VPN on the Dell then control it via VNC over my PowerBook and iBook. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what's wrong? Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The Cisco VPN is a sucure connection to work. It blocks all incoming connections to the Dell by design. How do you think work would feel if any old Joe could VNC into a machine and gainaccess to their network?

OP
E
Reaction score
No one could do that. You'd have to be on my network first off to VNC in and know my VNC password. You're still controlling my Dell, it's not like it's always on the VPN, you need to load Cisco and enter the access passwords to get on it. So unless someone is sitting outside my door, cracks my WEP key, finds the IP of my Dell, finds the VNC password, and then figures out my work VPN password, they have no way of getting on. How else am I supposed to do this without the VPN working on the Mac? It needs stupid ZoneAlarm to connect and there isn't a version of that for the Mac which makes this useless for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I'm saying is that once you establish the VPN you are not going to get the Mac to control the dell.

I'm sure your work isn't going take any chances with any users that connect via VPN. No matter how secure there network is.

There are plenty of ways to obtain all the information you mentioned such as WEP key, ip address and vnc passwords. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but your work knows that it could.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
the vpn options in tiger don't allow you to sign onto your vpn at work?

OP
E
Reaction score
PowerBookG4 said:
the vpn options in tiger don't allow you to sign onto your vpn at work?

No they don't. First off I need to use the Cisco VPN client to get on. That's fine as I have it. But my work checks if I'm running McAffee or Norton when I connect. The big problem is that it then checks to see if I have ZoneAlarm running by Zone Labs for security. This program is only avaialble for PC so no matter what it always kicks me off the VPN when that program is not detected to be running. It's driving me crazy, big mac user here with a useless system because of this :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get a new job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
leemoreau said:
No they don't. First off I need to use the Cisco VPN client to get on. That's fine as I have it. But my work checks if I'm running McAffee or Norton when I connect. The big problem is that it then checks to see if I have ZoneAlarm running by Zone Labs for security. This program is only avaialble for PC so no matter what it always kicks me off the VPN when that program is not detected to be running. It's driving me crazy, big mac user here with a useless system because of this :(

hmmm... sorry, that does really stink... what company do you work for?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.