Basic iTunes Question

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

I imagine this is a pretty basic question but I would appreciate the help(I am relatively new to the mac world)

WHen I delete something from Itunes, is it deleted for good? I have a few things that I just don't think I will ever watch or listen to again and rather than clutter things up, I am just wondering if I can just delete them from Itunes and they are gone for good.

I realize I could back them up for a rainy day, but some stuff I'd rather just get rid of all together.

I appreciate the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
It depends. When you delete the files from within iTunes, itunes might ask you if you want to remove them from the library or move them to the trash. If you select move to trash its deleted. If iTunes does not give you this option then the file is not deleted.

Also, for future reference, not anything goes in anything goes.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Deleting something from iTunes for good us usually a multi-step process. Let's suppose there is a song you want to get rid of. When you select the song and het delete that removes the song information from your library/ playlist. iTunes then brings up a dialog asking whether to keep the file or delete it. If you choose to delete the file it is moved to the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I wish you would have called this "Basic iTunes Question"

I thought I might be able to help with a "Basic Question" ...but I don't use iTunes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum, edited your title for clarity. Please read forum descriptions prior to posting. Does not belong in "Anything Goes".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.