copy music files to hard drive formatted to windows nt

Reaction score
I am currently trying to transfer files from my mac bookpro to a hard drive which has been formatted to windows ntfs, obviously the two dont communicate i can read and transfer from the hard drive to the mac but i cannot write to the hard drive from the mac
? is does anyone have any simple solutions to transfer from the mac to the Hdrive

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

You didn't mention which operating system you're using with the MBP. If it's Snow Leopard, download the free NTFS Mounter. That will give you write capability to the external drive.

If you're using Leopard or an earlier version of OS X, you'll need to purchase a driver to turn on write capability. The best IMO is Paragon NTFS currently $19.95.

OP
C
Reaction score
ive tried ntfs mounter and ive tried to drop the files into the hard drive but i am still getting the no limits symbol, any other ideas?

thanks for the help by the way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
Did you eject and remount the drive after setup? Support info says you have to do that manually if it was mounted automatically. Worked for me after I did that.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure you're using NTFS Mounter correctly. It's not the easiest utility to get the "hang of". First, you need to run the utility. That should give you a small "Fox" icon in your top menu bar. Next, click on the small Fox icon and select your NTFS drive.

Next, open the Finder and navigate to the: /tmp/ntfsMounter.336/ folder. Then double click on your drive..... it should open and show folders, etc. Now it can be used as an ordinary drive which means you can drag and drop files and so forth.

Let us know if it works for you.

Reaction score
Make sure you're using NTFS Mounter correctly. It's not the easiest utility to get the "hang of". First, you need to run the utility. That should give you a small "Fox" icon in your top menu bar. Next, click on the small Fox icon and select your NTFS drive.

Next, open the Finder and navigate to the: /tmp/ntfsMounter.336/ folder. Then double click on your drive..... it should open and show folders, etc. Now it can be used as an ordinary drive which means you can drag and drop files and so forth.

Let us know if it works for you.

Hi, Ive tried doing this but i can seem to navigate to /tmp/ntfsMounter.336/

I have used the go to folder option and copied and pasted /tmp/ntfsMounter.336/ but can't be found that way.

sorry if I'm being a bit stupid here I'm here to macs. is there a way to copy and past this in any other navigation bar etc? I've also tried spotlight but doesn't work which i would expect really.

i am using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1 (11B26)

NTFS Mounter does not work with Lion. You'll need to purchase a third party app to be able to read and write to NTFS. See the reply above about Paragon NTFS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.