Slow PowerMac 6.1

Reaction score
Hello. I got a PowerMac 6.1 handed down to me from my mother. I lost my MacBook Pro in a divorce. Anyhow, when I got the computer from my mother it had thousands and thousands of pictures and music stored on it. I proceeded to delete all of the pictures and all of the music and also ran the "Cleanmymac" program and cleaned the computer. The computer is still quite slow when on the internet. Pages do not load as quickly as I feel they should and videos from youtube and various other sites will not play "smoothly". Instead they are herky jerky and play frame by frame if you will. FWIW, this computer has a power PC G4 (3.3) with a 1GHZ speed, and 768 MB of memory. I dont know too much about what that means because I am not that computer savy. Can anyone help me figure out why this computer is running as slowly as it is?

Also, I do not think it has anything to do with my internet connection as it has always worked fine when using my ex-wifes laptop. Same connection, same modem, same everything other than the computer.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The simple answer is...this G4 Powermac is just too old (about 7 years old)...and it's processor & video hardware are just too slow to run Youtube videos smoothly. You Tube videos are VERY taxing on an older Mac such as this.

This Powermac G4 is still good for many tasks...but You Tube videos it is definitely not good for. And of course...you don't need me to tell your that your former MacBook Pro was a MUCH newer & speedier computer!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
If you want to play youtube smoothly on that machine, download camino web browser: Camino. Download. Releases then simply select the 240p option from the small menu below the video, if the video doesn't have that option (as about 10% of them don't) simply put: &fmt=5 at the end of the video url and refresh, and it will manually make the quality lower. I know 240p is pretty crappy quality, but at least the video is watchable. :) As for the slow web browsing itself, Camino will help some but it's just a slow computer...simple as that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well then, it looks like I will be going out and buying a new state of the art apple laptop. Any suggestions? Money is an issue but everyone in this country is up to their necks in debt, I might as well be too. If I can keep it at or near $1000 I'd like to, but as the Rolling Stones once said, "You can't always get what you want....baby."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.