invalid sibling link -external hard drive?!

Reaction score
my external hard drive stopped showing up on my macbook. It still lights up and shows in disk utility. When I click repair it says 'invalid sibling link'.

I have been following the tips on this website: How to fix the Invalid Sibling Link error : Mahal kita

I think it will work, the only problem is when I enter the fsck_hfs -r/dev/disk0s2 code, it only checks my Macintosh HD drive, not my external hard drive. I think this is because diskOs2 is the name of macHD, so how do I find out the name of my external drive?

thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are probly easier ways. I do it the GUI way - click the Apple - About This Mac - More Info - head for USB or Firewire or whichever port the external is connected to on the left side. It will display the info on the right side.

Here is my external and it's three partitions.

20110107-87k34d7w69u3nw31t6pc7strnj.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
thank you so much!
Another question though.
I now enter this into the reboot black page thing: fsck_hfs -r/dev/disk2s10
and it then quickly prompts me to enter something else, so I write fsck -fy.
It then goes through a 5-10 min process of checking drive, but in the end it says 'the drive macintosh HD appears to be ok". But the name of that drive is 0s2 not 2s10?!?!
what is happening?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.